Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-01-2018, 06:06 PM   #1
Prince Charon

Default Dominance by Contract, and a Dominance limitation

A couple of questions, which might both be applied to the same advantage:

1. Rather than an attack, could Dominance be activated by some form of physical or verbal agreement (service for a year and a day, or for seven years, in return for power)? Would this be an enhancement, a limitation, or just a special effect?

2. Instead of Slave Mentality, perhaps the new Ally could have Fanaticism, Reprogrammable, or Sense of Duty toward the Master? This would mean that they would not have the Minion enhancement, so that should probably reduce the cost of Dominance a bit, but I'm not sure how much. I would say that the separate disadvantages should give separate limitation costs (a fanatically loyal servant is rather less inclined to disobey than one who merely feels a sense of duty to you, and less inclined to creatively reinterpret your orders than someone who has Reprogrammable without Slave Mentality).

Thoughts?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:41 PM   #2
Railstar

Default Re: Dominance by Contract, and a Dominance limitation

Regarding 2:

Older editions - "Weak Dominance" (Reprogrammable instead of Slave Mentality) was worth -40%.

Personal opinion - Minion enhancement on Ally is worth +0% if they have Slave Mentality, because the absolute loyalty is offset by the need for micromanagement. Minion without Slave Mentality is worth +50%, which is the guideline I'd use for Fanaticism/Reprogrammable, so I would make that an enhancement for Dominance.

Slave Mentality is not going to creatively interpret your orders, but you still have to word your orders carefully to avoid mishaps or overly literal obedience.

Inflicting Sense of Duty I would treat as a "non-minion" Ally created by Dominance, for +0% on Dominance.

I hope those help.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:58 PM   #3
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
A couple of questions, which might both be applied to the same advantage:

1. Rather than an attack, could Dominance be activated by some form of physical or verbal agreement (service for a year and a day, or for seven years, in return for power)? Would this be an enhancement, a limitation, or just a special effect?

Why bother? Look Dominance has a specific job to do, representing entities that can infect others with their nature and control the newly infected. If you are just some kind of demonic lawyer making pacts to empower and minionize people then you don't need much more than an Unusual Origin (Demon Lawyer), or even just a perk and an ally group of minions.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:02 PM   #4
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railstar View Post
Regarding 2:

Older editions - "Weak Dominance" (Reprogrammable instead of Slave Mentality) was worth -40%.

Personal opinion - Minion enhancement on Ally is worth +0% if they have Slave Mentality, because the absolute loyalty is offset by the need for micromanagement. Minion without Slave Mentality is worth +50%, which is the guideline I'd use for Fanaticism/Reprogrammable, so I would make that an enhancement for Dominance.

Slave Mentality is not going to creatively interpret your orders, but you still have to word your orders carefully to avoid mishaps or overly literal obedience.

Inflicting Sense of Duty I would treat as a "non-minion" Ally created by Dominance, for +0% on Dominance.

I hope those help.
Not sure I agree with you, but how much of an enhancement do you think Fanaticism or Reprogrammable should be, though?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:37 PM   #5
Railstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Not sure I agree with you, but how much of an enhancement do you think Fanaticism or Reprogrammable should be, though?
I'd consider it a Minion without Slave Mentality, so +50%...

But I'd accept pricing Dominance normally on the grounds that any Allies taken with Dominance are already paid for with the +50% from Minion. No need to charge them twice.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advanatages, modifiers