Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-08-2019, 09:19 PM   #1
Anomylous

Default Rule discrepancies in ITL: KS PDF vs. published book

So I was going through Legacy-edition ITL, trying to get a handle on the new Staff spells. In my Kickstarter PDF copy (from the "SECOND WAVE 9-25-18") folder, it says that a wizard character can start with the Staff spell appropriate to their IQ level, without having to also learn the lower levels. That whole paragraph seems to have vanished from the printed copy.

I'm assuming that the print rulebook is the Official Rules, and that you do indeed have to allot points to learn each individual level of Staff when building a wizard character - unless there's something about it elsewhere that I've missed? (I don't actually have a copy of the print book, this only came to my attention when I got into a rules debate with someone else!)

Anyway, I haven't seen anyone else talking about this, so thought I'd bring it to everyone's attention. I've been using that PDF as my go-to reference, but apparently that's risky!

(The Staff question in particular is important to some house rules I've been working on, which are posted over in the House Rules section. I don't think it breaks anything too badly either way, but it definitely affects things a lot.)
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:14 PM   #2
amenditman

Default Re: Rule discrepancies in ITL: KS PDF vs. published book

You should update to the latest version pdf. The one you have is not the final production version.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:31 PM   #3
FireHorse

I would assume its removal was deliberate, because on ITL 18 (both PDF and Print), in the description of the first Staff spell, it says: "Each level of Staff is a prerequisite to the next."

However, I'm curious — on which page of the PDF does that paragraph you mentioned occur?
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:02 PM   #4
Anomylous

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
I would assume its removal was deliberate, because on ITL 18 (both PDF and Print), in the description of the first Staff spell, it says: "Each level of Staff is a prerequisite to the next."

However, I'm curious — on which page of the PDF does that paragraph you mentioned occur?

Page 18. It goes like this:

Quote:
There are five levels of Staff spell, of increasing power. Each level of Staff is a prerequisite to the next, but the wizard need not “remember” earlier levels of Staff in order to use his highest one, and (for instance) a character who is created with IQ 13 may start with Staff III without buying the lesser versions.
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:10 PM   #5
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomylous View Post
Page 18. It goes like this:
Yup, it does indeed. That's only in the early "Second Wave" PDF though — the current PDF has the same text as the Print version, which omits everything after the word "next". (It also has a few extra words about IQ requirements in the previous sentence, but they don't alter anything.)

Perhaps they changed their minds about letting starting characters skip ahead…?

That doesn't mean you can't House Rule it whichever way you'd prefer, though.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:49 PM   #6
Skarg

That and some other things were changed right before it went to print - there was a discussion that led to it and where Steve spelled out the changed here on this forum.

(Another change was removing the limit on how negative ST can get before someone dies (fully dead dead) immediately. That's one I'd tend to sneak back in, personally, but not the previous staff description. But yes as Firehorse just wrote, people can and should play how they want.)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote