Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-31-2018, 01:17 AM   #51
Bengt

Default Re: Exotic Governmental/Legal Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Yeah? So? "Exotic" doesn't mean "unusual" or "rare".
I still don't see what is exotic about a political system that is tried and test and used in many parts of the world. "Ordinary" seems like a better descriptor.
Bengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:54 AM   #52
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt View Post
I still don't see what is exotic about a political system that is tried and test and used in many parts of the world. "Ordinary" seems like a better descriptor.
You could say the same of #15, elective monarchy. #16, which is used in Saudi Arabia. #14, which was used for a long time in China. #9 prevailed in England from the death of Queen Anne until 1885. #6 describes modern Iran.

"Exotic" doesn't mean "weird" "bizarre", "freakish", "untried", "speculative", "unexampled". It's not a criticism, either. It means "from, or like what they have, in foreign countries". In Australia rabbits, foxes, pigeons, and oak trees are exotic. In North America, earthworms, white clover, and eucalypts are exotic. Compulsory voting is not exotic in Australia, but it is to the American majority of the GURPS fanbase. Multi-member district aren't exotic in Australia either — the states function as such in Senate elections.

What is exotic about multi-member electorates is that they don't have them in the USA. It is the same thing that is exotic about proportional representation. That is also common, we use it here in Australia (for local governments and upper houses), and I mentioned it immediately before multi-member constituencies.

Last edited by Agemegos; 01-31-2018 at 05:15 AM.
Agemegos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:19 AM   #53
Irish Wolf

Earthworms are exotic in North America? Really?

What are these things digging around under my garden, then? Larval dragons?

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:20 AM   #54
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

62. Elections are held one term in advance. The principle executive spends one term in a different, somewhat preparatory position before serving his main term, then serves the main term, then spends a third term in an advisory role.

Inspired by the way my local hospital runs its "Chief of Staff" position.

63. Vote and Antivote. A vote selects the top X canidates for a position. Then an antivote is held, with antivotes being who you don't want to be in the office. The canidate with the fewest antivotes wins.

EDIT: on the earthworm topic, european and north american earth worms are usually 8 inches long at most. Australia has some giant earthworms, including a world record of 3 meters (10 feet). I would consider that exotic.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 01-31-2018 at 07:43 AM.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:59 AM   #55
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Wolf View Post
Earthworms are exotic in North America? Really?

What are these things digging around under my garden, then? Larval dragons?
Invasive species.

Well, maybe. I think this may be a Canadian thing, being mostly complete in the US before anybody paid much attention. Earthworms don't survive glaciation, so the ones native to northern North America were wiped out geologically recently, and there are still substantial forest areas that haven't been recolonized. Admittedly some of the ones that have been moving in are from southern North America, but others are from elsewhere, and it's considered an environmental issue some places, as it perceptibly changes the ecology of those forests.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:27 AM   #56
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
62. Elections are held one term in advance. The principle executive spends one term in a different, somewhat preparatory position before serving his main term, then serves the main term, then spends a third term in an advisory role.

Inspired by the way my local hospital runs its "Chief of Staff" position.
Scottish Highlanders liked to choose the Tanist ahead of time. They did not want to be caught without a designated successor in the middle of a clan war.

As for the other part, I can see how adding acolytes and emeriti(if that is the word)to an executive council would be interesting. I don't know the effect though it may work something like Britain where the Lords once served the purpose of putting a clamp on Commons.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:38 AM   #57
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwcain View Post
Taking a page from Robert Heinlein, this world allows the vote only to those persons who have received an Honorable Discharge from active duty of no less than [x] years (for whatever value of [x] you want). Similarly, all public offices (including the right and obligation to serve on a jury) are likewise restricted to this class of citizenship. All persons (legal residents, that is) enjoy full protection under the law, and are otherwise treated equally.

Franklin
The buy-in theory of enfranchisement has something to recommend it. It was similar to why landholding was needed in the past. A few countries still require militia service too, usually smaller ones.

One interesting idea going with this would be that guilds, unions, or other representatives of differing occupations would compete over which was most imperative to the vital interests and hence who gets the vote.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:38 PM   #58
Bengt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
"Exotic" doesn't mean "weird" "bizarre", "freakish", "untried", "speculative", "unexampled". It means "from, or like what they have, in foreign countries".
That is not the only meaning of exotic. E.g. Merriam-Webster also have "strikingly, excitingly, or mysteriously different or unusual".
Bengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:34 PM   #59
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt View Post
That is not the only meaning of exotic. E.g. Merriam-Webster also have "strikingly, excitingly, or mysteriously different or unusual".
Just for the record, what I think you're calling multi-member districts have occasionally been seen at the state or local level in the US. I forget what the last Supreme court ruling was no them vis-à-vis minority representation.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:57 PM   #60
jason taylor

Latent Law:

This would require an old society. What it is is when amendment is needed instead of abolishing a law it is retired in to latency. What this means is that it is null at the present time, but viable as a precedent in further amendments. That is it will be used in preference to totally novel ideas given that the same purpose is accomplished.

The main place this is used will be in balance of power jugglings to ensure one interest doesn't become overweighted. Other ideas can come up to taste.