Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-22-2019, 01:27 AM   #531
ak_aramis

Default Re: Exotic Governmental/Legal Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
How about a sort of feudal corporate system? Instead of a mayor, a city would have a franchisee who buys the rights to run the city from the regional office, which in turn buys the rights from the national office.

McOcracy.
That's essentially stock feudalism.

Last edited by ak_aramis; 01-22-2019 at 01:35 AM.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:56 PM   #532
David Johnston2

A constitutional republic where every law after being passed by the legislature must then be voted on by a council of judges (who also comprise the highest court in the land) to determine whether it conforms to their interpretation of the constitution in order to take force.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:35 PM   #533
Johnny1A.2

This idea requires very high technology to work, including some that may not be possible at all, but it might be interesting.

All political, judicial, and other power in the state is in the hands of clones of the founder. They are cloned from original cells, to avoid replication error problems. They are genetically engineered for sterility, however. They probably have normal sexual appetites and desires for companionship, but they reproduce only indirectly via clones of the original and braintapes.

They are imprinted with 'braintaped' copies of their predecessors memories, but carefully edited ones so that they get only the memories and not the personality, so each clone 'remembers' the experiences of his (or her) predecessors.*

They grow up at a normal pace, though, so they develop some separate personality of their own, and when they reach majority they are assigned some minor role of authority (mayor of a small town, judge of a local court, etc.) As they grow older they are promoted to higher ranks (governors, senators, whatever). Note: Adjust titles and offices to the campaign setting.

How do they advance? A vote of their clone-peers. Every two or four or whatever years, the clones vote among themselves to promote the winners to higher rank, or demote ones underperforming. Balloting is secret, so the clone-siblings have an incentive to not alienate each other too much...in theory.

A clone can 'resign' from the government, but it's irrevocable. Presumably they have some system to prevent them from impersonating each other (tattoos or whatever works).

The interactions among the clones could be complicated. On one level, they're all brothers (or sisters, depending). The copied memories make them even closer, but their separate life experiences make them different from each other, too. They are different from the mundanes of the population in a basic way. Note that depending on the genetic tendencies of the original donor and the way the braintapes work, their similarities might make it easier for them to work as a group, or put them at each other's throats.

* Braintaping/imprinting being one of the technologies that may actually be impossible or unworkable, or ex.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:03 AM   #534
Bengt

Ann Leckie's Imperial Radch series has a variant of that. The clones have brain implants to update their experiences when close enough, which since it's a interstellar empire isn't constantly. Outwardly all the clones have the same authority as far as I can remember.
Bengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #535
jason taylor

I came up with this thinking of exotic onasmatics (a good subject for another thread as it happens). Suppose every person's name was chosen at random out of a computer.

Then I tried to think of how it would tie to governmental systems. And it came to me. Each name has a numerological value. Suppose by a given algorithm certain names are always considered to be names for nobles or elders or whatever. Instead of a geneological aristocracy we have an onasmatic one?

It has some reprecussions. Everyone is going to want to benefit their kith and kin, and interfering with that beyond what is due and proper is going to be just another attempt to make a dystopia while seeking utopia that is out of the question. On the other hand onasmatic nobles must have some clout to preform their duties or they will be overwhelmed by the dynasts which will always exist in some form. Therefore there must be fiefs or endowments of some kind that do not belong to any one family but to an office and are transferred when a new successor is nominated.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:25 AM   #536
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
I came up with this thinking of exotic onasmatics (a good subject for another thread as it happens). Suppose every person's name was chosen at random out of a computer.

Then I tried to think of how it would tie to governmental systems. And it came to me. Each name has a numerological value. Suppose by a given algorithm certain names are always considered to be names for nobles or elders or whatever. Instead of a geneological aristocracy we have an onasmatic one?.
It seems to me that the most vulnerable point in this system is for someone to obtain control of whatever process assigns the names. Or records and enforces them - clearly it's not going to work if people can call themselves whatever they want, so there needs to be a Name Use Police of some sort.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:48 AM   #537
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
It seems to me that the most vulnerable point in this system is for someone to obtain control of whatever process assigns the names. Or records and enforces them - clearly it's not going to work if people can call themselves whatever they want, so there needs to be a Name Use Police of some sort.
I was thinking it was to be randomized. I hope I didn't leave that out.

This would make it a variation of Athenian Democracy except it is more Athenian Oligarchy.

But that is a problem. On the other hand, now that I think of it, it would be comparable to policing voter fraud which is a pain but not insoluble if you accept that there will always be warts.

Last edited by jason taylor; 04-08-2019 at 11:52 AM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #538
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

All candidates for office must participate in a specific reality show (crafted for that purpose) before running for office.

I'm guessing you either make the base editing footage available to everyone, or you have a highly politicized editing council that has a weird amount of say in politics. This goes double for the activities and contests you put these contestants through.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:30 PM   #539
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
All candidates for office must participate in a specific reality show (crafted for that purpose) before running for office.

I'm guessing you either make the base editing footage available to everyone, or you have a highly politicized editing council that has a weird amount of say in politics. This goes double for the activities and contests you put these contestants through.
So you are proposing the US electoral process?
Old 04-08-2019, 08:53 PM   #540
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
I was thinking it was to be randomized. I hope I didn't leave that out.
So dictatorship of the sysadmins who maintain the "random" selection software?