Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

View Poll Results: Can you turn to face the coming attack?
Yes 0 0%
Yes, but only if my adjDX is higher than the attacker 2 8.00%
No 23 92.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2019, 03:14 PM   #1
RobW

Default RAW interpretation poll: Engaging

Let's give this a try. I was thinking of starting with an easy one to see if any interest, and then moving to more interesting ones.

One-on-one battle. Your character moves forward 1 hex. The enemy moves behind you. Can you turn to face him before he attacks?

Let's avoid discussion until after the poll closes.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:29 PM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: RAW interpretation poll: Engaging

Clearly not. In addition to violating RAW (you are effectively moving twice in the same turn), it is a breakdown of the whole purpose of the chess-like movement elements in Melee. It would be like permitting you an extra special move whenever you are put in check in Chess.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #3
RobW

This one is clear, but 20+ votes sounds good enough to try some which might be less straight-forward.

Kind of hoping though to avoid comments until the poll closes, just to get a better feel for how people play right now, rather than the best arguments. But the stakes here could not be lower, so whatever works.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:02 AM   #4
MikMod

I'm really liking these!

Also I've changed my mind. I voted 'no' but of course if that character acts first, then they can use their action to face the attacker. It will cost their action, but they can do it!
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMod View Post
Also I've changed my mind. I voted 'no' but of course if that character acts first, then they can use their action to face the attacker. It will cost their action, but they can do it!
The only options where RAW lets you change your figure's position during the Action phase are Disengage, Change Position, and Attempt HTH. Logically if you can Disengage, you could also shift without disengaging, but none of those options allow any other action. So it seems to me you could turn to face as your action, but not also then attack or defend or anything else that's not a free action.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote