Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 05-25-2019, 09:08 PM   #1
Astromancer

Default Monarchies of Mau

What is this game and its partner Pugmire like?

What are the mechanics like?

How wide are your options?

What's the mood of the setting?

Is the setting evocative?

Does it have charm?

Thanks ahead of time.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:30 AM   #2
ak_aramis

Default Re: Monarchies of Mau

pugmire is explicitly post-humanity (P. p 10.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugmire, p. 10
Imagine our world, but far in the future. Countless centuries have gone by, and everything looks very different than it does now. Most building have crumbled to dust, and broken roads are buried deep beneath dense forests and layers of rocks. Here and there, the occasional ancient ruin or incomprehensible object surfaces, giving tantalizing glimpses of a world that once was. The work of mankind has been reclaimed by nature, but we’re all gone. Humanity is no more. And those that remain — our best friends — start to reclaim our legacy.

That’s Pugmire. It’s a fantasy game with evolved dogs as the main characters. They live in the ruins of our world, using tools, language, and ingenuity to build a new civilization in their image.
Mechanics are essentially 5E SRD, with a few thematic changes, some label changes, others mechanical, both for theme. Fortune points replace inspiration, and are more powerful (reroll damage pool or ability based check, keep better), and a group resource instead of individual.

Feats are renamed Tricks.

Some differences in conditions... like Anosmic...

Setting wise, they've left it open for a variety of expansions - a dozen or more species have reached sentience and upright stature.

I've only skimmed the setting chapter.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 02:52 PM   #3
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
pugmire is explicitly post-humanity (P. p 10.)

Mechanics are essentially 5E SRD, with a few thematic changes, some label changes, others mechanical, both for theme. Fortune points replace inspiration, and are more powerful (reroll damage pool or ability based check, keep better), and a group resource instead of individual.

Feats are renamed Tricks.

Some differences in conditions... like Anosmic...

Setting wise, they've left it open for a variety of expansions - a dozen or more species have reached sentience and upright stature.

I've only skimmed the setting chapter.
Thanks. But do you know much about the cats?

Ancora Imparo
Old 06-01-2019, 05:53 PM   #4
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Thanks. But do you know much about the cats?
No, other than they're accused of tolerance of necromancy, and, like dogs, have many breeds.

Your question caused my first read to be advanced a bit on the schedule. :)

One key mechanical difference from 5E that it took me a bit to notice: class abilities are not fixed by level; each level you get a new trick, and can select to refine an existing trick (think of this as new feats with a prerequisite feat), take a new trick for your breed, calling (class), or background, or a general trick.

And, given my kids... Monarchies of Mau is nau on my get list....

Last edited by ak_aramis; 06-01-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:24 AM   #5
ak_aramis

Got ahold of MoM...

Comparing the introductions... there are headers covering the intended feel
Theme:
P: Companionship as Salvation
MoM: Instinct vs. Society

Mood:
P: Mystery
MoM: Mysterious Intrigue

Action:
P: Exploration
MoM: Exploring the World and Yourself

Codes:
  • Pugmire "Good Dog"
    • Be a good dog
    • Obey the Master
    • Bite only those who endanger you
    • Defend your home
    • Stay loyal to those who are true
    • Protect all from the Unseen
    • Fetch what has been left behind
  • Monarchies Precepts of Mau
    • Always trust your instincts
    • Always pounce upon minions of the Unseen
    • Always reward loyalty
    • Always respect an honosed duel

Callings
  • Pugmire
    • Artisan
    • Guardian (Fighter)
    • Hunters (Ranger)
    • Ratters (rogue)
    • Shepherd (Cleric, church of Man)
    • Stray (Barbarian)
  • Monarchies
    • Champions (Fighter)
    • Foodpad (Rogue)
    • Mancer (Necromancer or skill monkey)
    • Minister (Cleric ofreincarnation)
    • Tracker (Paladin/ranger)
    • Wanderer (Monk?)

Edit to add...
The Pugmire system has rescaled levels - proficiency raises every odd level, hitting max level at 10th.
Death saves are TN 15, rather than 10.
Spell Point system, 5 levels of spells, 2 slots/character level, spells cost spell level slots, learn two new each level.

Last edited by ak_aramis; 06-02-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:18 AM   #6
Astromancer

Thanks! This is realy helpful. I like how the cultural differences between the two groups shape the character classes. Different outlooks shaping different roles needed by society. At least I guess that explains the differences.

Ancora Imparo
Old 06-02-2019, 07:11 AM   #7
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
Fortune points replace inspiration, and are more powerful (reroll damage pool or ability based check, keep better)
How is that more powerful than the standard 5e mechanic (roll two d20, and use the better?) Reroll is exactly the same probability, just executed sequentially (and in fact is often enough how we've actually done it at the table). What's the extra benefit in the Pugmire mechanic?

5e inspiration is also essentially a group resource, since one player can give another player inspiration. It's supposed to be for some RP or gaming entertainment reason, as opposed to "I could use it right now in combat", but that's a pretty thin line.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:00 PM   #8
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
How is that more powerful than the standard 5e mechanic (roll two d20, and use the better?) Reroll is exactly the same probability, just executed sequentially (and in fact is often enough how we've actually done it at the table). What's the extra benefit in the Pugmire mechanic?

5e inspiration is also essentially a group resource, since one player can give another player inspiration. It's supposed to be for some RP or gaming entertainment reason, as opposed to "I could use it right now in combat", but that's a pretty thin line.
Several ways.
  1. Inspiration is before rolling
    • Fortune is after rolling
  2. Stored inspiration is 1 per player
    • Fortune is not limited, but is reset each session
  3. Inspiration only affects the 3 ability rolls: Skill rolls, attack rolls, saves
    • Fortune can be used on any one die in any roll, including damage
  4. Inspiration only grants advantage; if already advantaged, it cannot be used.
    • Fortune stacks on top of advantage from other sources; A roll with advantage is 2d20kH1; add a fortune and it's 3d20kH1. On a disadvantage roll, it changes from 2d20kL1 to 3d20kM1
  5. Inspiration has only the reroll use
    • Fortune has some other uses in special abilities

#1 is powerful enough to warrant mention, save for the fact that many GM's allow it retroactively
#2 is a huge improvement; it encourages continued RP, not just until you get inspiration.
#3 is a huge step up in power, not as much as rerolling the whole pool, but rerolling the worst damage die, keeping higher, is particularly powerful in the smaller damage pools of non-magical attacks. On a greatsword 2d6, it becomes 3d6kH2; a greataxe goes from 1d10 to 2d10kH1.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:19 AM   #9
Anaraxes

Thanks for the clarification; those are all improvements.

#1 is certainly important for conserving the resource, the importance of which I suppose depends on how hard the points are to come by.

For #3, skill, attack, and ability checks are all the rolls there are in 5e, other than damage. But also being able to affect damage certainly helps you dodge that one terrible roll. Not as good as the Savage Attacker feat, but that's feats for you. How long are the combats, typically? In my 5e experience, they're probably five or six rounds, so fixing one damage roll in the combat is nice -- certainly feels better in play! -- but not decisive. (A quick check at AnyDice tells me that highest 2 of 3d6 moves the average over five rounds from 7 to 8.46 -- but that's not assuming that it's the lowest of all rounds, or more realistically the first round below some fixed value.)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:29 PM   #10
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Thanks for the clarification; those are all improvements.

#1 is certainly important for conserving the resource, the importance of which I suppose depends on how hard the points are to come by.

For #3, skill, attack, and ability checks are all the rolls there are in 5e, other than damage. But also being able to affect damage certainly helps you dodge that one terrible roll. Not as good as the Savage Attacker feat, but that's feats for you. How long are the combats, typically? In my 5e experience, they're probably five or six rounds, so fixing one damage roll in the combat is nice -- certainly feels better in play! -- but not decisive. (A quick check at AnyDice tells me that highest 2 of 3d6 moves the average over five rounds from 7 to 8.46 -- but that's not assuming that it's the lowest of all rounds, or more realistically the first round below some fixed value.)
I've not gotten either of the Pugmire system games (soon to be three - Pirates of Pugmire is on KS) to table. As noted above, this moved pugmire up on my reading list.

But my experience with 5E is typical fights run 5-10 rounds, with some big ones running to 20 rounds or so. Given the similarity of combat mechanics, I don't see it being notably faster.