Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-25-2019, 07:56 PM   #1
larsdangly

Default Working with new components

I understand the character cards are intended to have dry-erase marker on them, and perhaps the MH tiles as well. But before I started experimenting I wanted to make sure I've got it right. Are both these items dry-erase compatible? How about the figure markers (chits)? How about wet erase markers, like the ones people use on Chessex mats?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:04 PM   #2
ColBosch

Default Re: Working with new components

I used the markers from SJ Games's edition of Triplanetary on the cards and they cleaned up just fine. I didn't try the megahexes or counters.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:33 PM   #3
ParadoxGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
I used the markers from SJ Games's edition of Triplanetary on the cards and they cleaned up just fine. I didn't try the megahexes or counters.
I think the megahexes are dry-erase compatible, but get a quote from someone from SJG first, to be sure. I do not think the counters are made to be.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:44 PM   #4
ColBosch

I can test them in about 90 minutes.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:04 PM   #5
JLV

If memory serves, if you read the "Read This First" insert in your Legacy edition, you should get some advice on what to use on the Megahexes...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:54 PM   #6
ColBosch

The generic dry-erase markers from Triplanetary went on and wiped off the character cards, counters, and megahexes with no problems.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:24 PM   #7
the1weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
How about wet erase markers, like the ones people use on Chessex mats?
Did anyone ever answer this? If we jack up our megahexes or cards, will there be opportunity to purchase replacements? I can put the cards in card sleeves and mark on those instead, but dry erase wipes off with a touch and is not the best method for this kind of thing IMHO.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:01 PM   #8
larsdangly

I am interested to experiment with what happens when a character marker chit touches one of the dry-erase lines; it is possible the lines will smear and/or transfer to the chits. We'll just have to see how that works out.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:39 PM   #9
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I am interested to experiment with what happens when a character marker chit touches one of the dry-erase lines; it is possible the lines will smear and/or transfer to the chits. We'll just have to see how that works out.
Any temporary marking system has the chance to smudge or transfer when contacted. From my experiments, if a bit of dry-erase gets on the counters, it should wipe right off. If you're concerned about ink transfer ruining your pieces, don't use markers in the first place.

Personally, I don't care if some marks get on my playing pieces. I'm here to play games, not preserve them in time capsules.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:13 AM   #10
the1weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1weasel View Post
Did anyone ever answer this? If we jack up our megahexes or cards, will there be opportunity to purchase replacements? I can put the cards in card sleeves and mark on those instead, but dry erase wipes off with a touch and is not the best method for this kind of thing IMHO.
The cards have text that states we can use dry or wet erase. Wet erase should be all you need to prevent smudge getting on your counters if some care is taken.