Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 05-28-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
breakfast2588

Default Funniest Munchkin Moment

So I HAD to ask! What is the funniest moment you've ever witnessed in a game of Munchkin?

Mine has to be when my friend Dan pulled Imitate Bela Lugosi from the Bites deck, which allows him to go up a level after an attempt at an imitation of Bela Lugosi (the original Dracula in the movies). We sat there for about ten minutes trying to explain who Bela Lugosi is. He finally gets that he was Dracula. So, he stands there for about five minutes, acting as if he's got to warm up or something (he gets into a creepy position and everything), so we're bracing ourselves for an uncanny imitation. Finally, he speaks, and it's not Dracula at all, but Egore, from Frankenstein! Of course, the card said he had to attempt, and since he thought he was imitating Bela Lugosi, we had to give him the level.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
bonetm

Default Re: Funniest Munchkin Moment

Does "Egore" is supposed to be "Igor"? I just thought I should ask, since I am called Igor =P
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
breakfast2588

However you spell it. I thought it was "Igor" but it's pronounced E-gore.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
RevBob

The one that always gets me is the time I played 1/3-Breed with Dwarf, Orc, and Halfling, dubbing my character the Dorkling. (Or, if you're picky about spelling, the D'Orcling.) It was even better that I had the Sledgehammer of Smackdown of Doom, and the Helm of Courage really made the ensemble.

Now, that was nifty, but not really remarkable on its own. What was priceless was when I kicked open the door and found the Minor God, thus becoming the Dorkling Godslayer.

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
HunterNBama
Banned

No great card combos that were funny, but last weekend's tournament had a great moment that caused us all to laugh. One player had only played 5 Munchkin games ever before the tournament. In every game except one he had died at some point. He died in the first round. He died in the second round. And he died twice in the third and final round. He went off on this hilarious rant cursing every mythos known to gamers and stomping around the floor. You may have needed to be there to find it funny, but in person it was down right hilarious. The entire tournament was rolling in the floor by that point.
HunterNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:16 PM   #6
Lurre91

My funniest moment was when I was playing with my brother and three friends last week. It was a crazy game, since we have the first 4 expansions to the original game.
Anyways, my brother has got so many wearable items that his total combat bonus is +34. At this point he was level 17 (we were playing Epic to level 20). I found this highly unfair, since my only bonus was my Turtle Steed and my Stab-a-Matic (which I always end up getting, and always, unsuccessfully, tries to trade with the others).
So, my brother is up against some random level 9 monster, and is about to beat it, despite our efforts to get it to level 45.
I'm holding a monster in my hand, can't remember which atm, that has the Bad Stuff: Go down to level one, or loose all your items, but I didn't have a Wandering Monster card to use with it. However, my best mate had one. So, when everyone had lost their hope, and my brother was about to claim his 18th level, my pal snuck the Wandering Monster-card to me under the table, I played it, and it ended up in the most intense rolling of the die ever. In the end, my brother was down to level one. The whole table rejoiced! My brother however, did not.

We kept doing this along the course of the game, sneaking Wandering Monster-cards to each other and messing it up for the others. Neither of us won, but we had some good laughs at the others total obliviousness of our awesome cheating!
(sorry for the long post, kind of a bad habit of mine. Hope you enjoyed it though!)
Lurre91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
frostdawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurre91 View Post
I'm holding a monster in my hand, can't remember which atm, that has the Bad Stuff: Go down to level one, or loose all your items,
The dreaded Jabberwok (spelling?)
Quote:
but I didn't have a Wandering Monster card to use with it. However, my best mate had one. So, when everyone had lost their hope, and my brother was about to claim his 18th level, my pal snuck the Wandering Monster-card to me under the table, I played it, and it ended up in the most intense rolling of the die ever. In the end, my brother was down to level one. The whole table rejoiced! My brother however, did not.
There's a fine line between munchkin-ly-ism-ness-ing (or something) and cheating. I think this is the latter, but still entertaining.
frostdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:43 PM   #8
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostdawn View Post
There's a fine line between munchkin-ly-ism-ness-ing (or something) and cheating. I think this is the latter, but still entertaining.
Yeah, that's outright cheating, and wouldn't fly at quite a few tables across the land. . .
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:05 PM   #9
HunterNBama
Banned

Well, there is the spirit of the rules and then there is the letter of the rules and then there is the tournament definition of the rules. Being very Munchkinly and trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes is within the spirit of the rules. Outright cheating (if you can get away with it) is the letter of the rules, but not very Munchkinly or very much fun for anyone else. Then there is the tournament definition that cheating on purpose is down right not allowed and cheating at all can get you thrown out of the tournament.

Maybe I just view it differently than you and your mate, but that was down right cheating. But, in your defense, is sliding a card under the table on purpose really any different than purposefully hiding that one extra card in your hand beyond 5? Or trying to slide in that elf only bow on your orc cause you really need it to beat the monster? Technically, sliding that card is within the letter of the rule that cheating is legal so long as you can get away with it. But personally, I think that is just not in the spirit of the rules or the spirit of being Munchkinly. Just my two cents.
HunterNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:54 PM   #10
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterNBama View Post
Outright cheating (if you can get away with it) is the letter of the rules,
I challenge you to find one spot where out-and-out cheating is condoned in the Munchkin rules. And if you do, I'll make damn sure it gets edited out in the next rule revision, because cheating has NO place at the Munchkin table, period.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote