Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-04-2018, 12:26 PM   #1
JLV

Default Square Megahexes

For those of you reading the forum here for a while, you may remember that I mentioned something called "Square Megahexes a while back that seemingly confused a lot of people. The sad part was that I couldn't remember who had done them or where you could find them on the web.

Well, over on Brainiac.com, Craig Barber mentioned that he'd created them a while back -- so Craig's the man! And here are the links he posted on the TFT Wiki quite some time ago:

TFT Wiki, Game Aids

You'll note that he provided two sizes; 3/4-inch and one-inch hexes you can work with.

These would be very helpful when mapping linear objects such as buildings. All you have to do is remember which hex is the actual target hex of an area effects spell (a "spell marker" becomes a useful thing) and then recognize that a megahex area of effect means it affects all adjacent hexes, two megahexes means that it affects all adjacent hexes and all hexes adjacent to them, and so on...

Thanks Craig, for providing the links!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:19 PM   #2
Jim Kane
Banned

Default Re: Square Megahexes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
For those of you reading the forum here for a while, you may remember that I mentioned something called "Square Megahexes a while back that seemingly confused a lot of people. The sad part was that I couldn't remember who had done them or where you could find them on the web.

Well, over on Brainiac.com, Craig Barber mentioned that he'd created them a while back -- so Craig's the man! And here are the links he posted on the TFT Wiki quite some time ago:

TFT Wiki, Game Aids

You'll note that he provided two sizes; 3/4-inch and one-inch hexes you can work with.

These would be very helpful when mapping linear objects such as buildings. All you have to do is remember which hex is the actual target hex of an area effects spell (a "spell marker" becomes a useful thing) and then recognize that a megahex area of effect means it affects all adjacent hexes, two megahexes means that it affects all adjacent hexes and all hexes adjacent to them, and so on...

Now THAT is clever!

Cool concept. Seems to be a very creative and logical extension of the unique hex map provided in TFT: Security Station. This would also be a great way to render some classic Gygax dungeon designs in the TFT-style.

Great post JLV !

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:20 PM   #3
JLV

Give the credit to Craig Barber -- he's the guy who did the work!

Frankly, when I first saw it a few years back, I had one of those (very frequent in my life) "D'oh moments" -- it was so simple and patently obvious an idea that I can't for the life of me figure out why I didn't invent it myself! But while I didn't, I recognize brilliance when I see it (for the most part), and this idea was simply brilliant.

I sincerely hope that Steve adopts it for the "mapping" portion of the ITL revision; it would enormously simplify mapping buildings and the classic "Moria-like" straight tunnels of Gygax's dungeons! But even if he doesn't, it's available for all of us who care to use it.

And, your point about Security Station is another D'oh moment for me; OF COURSE it is similar in concept, and may have even been inspired by SS. (Craig would have to answer that one, but even if it wasn't, it wouldn't be the first time that two great minds have reached a similar conclusion.) Now why didn't I notice that myself? ;-)

Last edited by JLV; 05-07-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:13 PM   #4
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Give the credit to Craig Barber -- he's the guy who did the work!

Frankly, when I first saw it a few years back, I had one of those (very frequent in my life) "D'oh moments" -- it was so simple and patently obvious an idea that I can't for the life of me figure out why I didn't invent it myself! But while I didn't, I recognize brilliance when I see it (for the most part), and this idea was simply brilliant.

I sincerely hope that Steve adopts it for the "mapping" portion of the ITL revision; it would enormously simplify mapping buildings and the classic "Moria-like" straight tunnels of Gygax's dungeons! But even if he doesn't, it's available for all of us who care to use it.

And, your point about Security Station is another D'oh moment for me; OF COURSE it is similar in concept, and may have even been inspired by SS. (Craig would have to answer that one, but even if it wasn't, it wouldn't be the first time that two great minds have reached a similar conclusion.) Now why didn't I notice that myself? ;-)
Well, if it were not for you seeing the value in it, AND, doing the good TFT-family member thing by passing the word here, I would never had awareness of it; and I think it is a boon to TFT-style mapping.

As to why you didn't think of it yourself... who knows? Maybe you were busy being brilliant in some other area of TFT refinement; of which you share so many of your interesting and worthy ideas here.

Thanks again for sharing JLV - We would be lesser of a community without your POSITIVE and CONSTRUCTIVE input.

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 05-07-2018 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-07-2018, 06:26 PM   #5
Rick_Smith

Hi everyone.
I've never felt the need for these. When I want things to run on right angles (like inside square buildings), I run the walls along the alternate hex grain so many hexes are cut in half.

Then any one in a half hex is given -2 DX for a crowded hex. Other things give the same penalty, if you are fighting in a hex with a sofa the hex is crowded. If you are in a small room and are crammed between a table and a wall, the hex may be crowded.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:42 AM   #6
JLV

Personally, I find these a much better solution than to come up with "special case" rules and exceptions for everything.

Simpler is better.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:57 AM   #7
tbeard1999

Quote:

TFT Wiki, Game Aids

Give that man a golf clap. That's pretty slick. I abandoned megahexes fairly early on and imposed the rule "half hexes are playable; partials are not". But if you're gonna use megahexes, this is a great accomodation for square rooms and corridors.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:46 AM   #8
Falstaffe1965

Actually, an even better way to map buildings for TFT would be to use squares instead of hexes, but offset every other row (like bricks in a wall) so it follows the same pattern as hex-grain, but has convenient right angles.

Last edited by Falstaffe1965; 05-08-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Falstaffe1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:33 PM   #9
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
Give that man a golf clap. That's pretty slick. I abandoned megahexes fairly early on and imposed the rule "half hexes are playable; partials are not". But if you're gonna use megahexes, this is a great accomodation for square rooms and corridors.
Yes, that is exactly how we handled it, "half hexes are playable; partials are not" - simple and easy - however, this Square Megahex concept makes for great mapping if for no other reason than purely visual.

As soon as I get the time, I am planning on re-mapping the old 1979 Judges Guild solo: Survival of Fittest by Michael Mayeau; just to see how that classic dungeon looks in the TFT-style with this Square Megahex mapping concept.

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 05-11-2018 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-09-2018, 01:39 PM   #10
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaffe1965 View Post
Actually, an even better way to map buildings for TFT would be to use squares instead of hexes, but offset every other row (like bricks in a wall) so it follows the same pattern as hex-grain, but has convenient right angles.
Perhaps, but that was always so jarring visually that it tended to break the spirit of adventure so key to playing an RPG -- at least for my group. And besides, this is just such an elegant solution that allows you to retain the hex grid for facing and combat purposes. The squares you advocate always seemed to create facing problems and range arguments for a lot of the more...um..."lawyerly" players in the group (with apologies to Ty -- you know what I mean, Ty, "rules lawyers" who always want to argue about the meaning of footnote 32 on page 96 of D&D Players' Manual...)