Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-29-2016, 06:34 PM   #1
Jinumon

Default Blade Geometry: "The Deadly Spring" for Swords?

Hey all,

I've been watching a lot of test cutting and sword reviews on Youtube recently, and it's got me wondering about the significance of blade geometry and balance in the cutting performance of various blades. Has anyone (perhaps our resident physics buff Douglas Cole) considered expanding the rules for calculating weapon damage to factor in things like blade profile, edge grind/bevel, point of balance, and tapering? After learning a few things (I must be an expert after watching some Youtube videos *sarcasm*), the cutting performance (i.e. swing damage) of thrusting-centric weapons like the longsword are starting to grind my gears. I don't really expect anyone to have done this, it's obviously a monumentously complex topic, perhaps even more-so than the infamous "Deadly Spring," but was just kind of curious.

Jinumon
Jinumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:40 PM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Blade Geometry: "The Deadly Spring" for Swords?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinumon View Post
Hey all,

I've been watching a lot of test cutting and sword reviews on Youtube recently, and it's got me wondering about the significance of blade geometry and balance in the cutting performance of various blades. Has anyone (perhaps our resident physics buff Douglas Cole) considered expanding the rules for calculating weapon damage to factor in things like blade profile, edge grind/bevel, point of balance, and tapering? After learning a few things (I must be an expert after watching some Youtube videos *sarcasm*), the cutting performance (i.e. swing damage) of thrusting-centric weapons like the longsword are starting to grind my gears. I don't really expect anyone to have done this, it's obviously a monumentously complex topic, perhaps even more-so than the infamous "Deadly Spring," but was just kind of curious.

Jinumon
Not physics-based, but I did write something up about sharp but brittle edges over on the blog.

http://gamingballistic.blogspot.com/...idnt-make.html

This started out as part of the Broken Blade - in fact, it was the original idea. But TBB was worthwhile, while The Cutting Edge was too fiddly to make the cost outweigh the increased complexity.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage, low-tech, melee, realism, weapons