Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-28-2016, 10:31 AM   #11
RyanW

Default Re: Max pluses with talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Frankly, I don't think it's that much of a balance issue. In the specific case you mention, perhaps it's a bit abusive to take all those Talents, but if a Talent doesn't overlap by more than two skills or so, I'd be inclined to allow them both.
Oh, yeah. I would have no problem with that. The examples I gave are essentially the same list of skills, with just a couple changes. If a player tried to take two of those for the purpose of bypassing the limit, I'd have a something to say.

But if someone wanted to be an expert circus performer and courtesan, I wouldn't have any problem with the combination of Clown and Allure, despite the fact both apply to Makeup. Or if someone took one level of a talent and one level of a different talent which is just the first plus a bit, since they clearly aren't trying to break the 4-level limit (they're good with a bunch of related skills, but really good with a smaller subset of that).

And that isn't necessarily a balance issue. Due to personal history, I just have a problem with players deciding that the goal of the game is to try to find the biggest loophole.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:34 PM   #12
Andreas

What is the reason for the limit of four levels for talents anyway? A limit of four means that you for example can't easily make a character who is extremely talented at math related skills without also being talented at other IQ skills. Having great talent at math should not necessitate being talented at social interaction as well.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:57 PM   #13
Leynok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
What is the reason for the limit of four levels for talents anyway? A limit of four means that you for example can't easily make a character who is extremely talented at math related skills without also being talented at other IQ skills. Having great talent at math should not necessitate being talented at social interaction as well.
I assume it's to prevent characters from spending all their points in Talents rather than the Skills. This exact same problem still exists with the Attributes, however, you can both choose what goes in a Talent (getting it to cover all your core Skills, which may otherwise not share the same default Attribute) and Skills can float to other Attributes in some situations, which can be big trouble for characters that rely on their high Attributes over high Skill.
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:15 AM   #14
weby

Quote:
It is not really the talent limit that is critical, it is the combination of talent+attribute. By RAW "normal humans" can be IQ 20 and have +4 from talent for an effective 24 base in IQ based skills. I find that too high by far for normal humans(Super heroes and such are a different thing).

Thus I see the talent limit as part of the limit on defaults and what a single or few points in a skill gets you. If someone came to me with a character concept that had low attributes and high talent(>4) to compensate I would be fine with limiting the attribute limit lower than the normal campaign limit and talent limit higher for that character. It is the total of the two that matters mostly.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:41 AM   #15
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
What is the reason for the limit of four levels for talents anyway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PU: Talents page 21
The Basic Set limits heroes to four levels of any given Talent. This cutoff was arrived at by viewing the reaction bonus as similar to that from a Reputation, and subjecting it to the same upper bound: +4.
However PU:T has rules for Talents going to 5, 6 or 10 levels. I prefer 10 levels. I think 10 levels works best with the "Alternative benefit" rules.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
talents