Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #11
JCurwen3

Default Re: Disadvantageous Resistant / Immunity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
This is an advantage, for the bacteria. You don't take Antibiotics to interact with your bio-chemistry (in fact most are somewhat toxic to humans; that's why they have side-effects) but to poison the infection.
That is true, but some animals' livers metabolize certain drugs much more rapidly than humans. Some humans have an inborn-Resistance (also liver enzyme based) to certain drugs. As I said earlier, the statistics suggest 10% of humans become at least partially aware during surgery after having been supposedly "put under" general anaesthesia, and about 10% of that group wake up fully aware and feeling all the pain, remembering it later, being unable to scream or even show the doctors they're fully conscious because of the muscle paralyzing drugs given to prevent unconscious involuntary spasms and movement. And those people are affected (understandably) much like a character that has failed one or more Fright Checks (sometimes with symptoms of PTSD as a result).

So I see your point regarding antibiotics. But it's at least conceivable that some humans might metabolize them harmlessly away before the bacteria ever take a substantial blow from them, and the same strain in another human would be obliterated by the same doses of antibiotics. In point of fact I am not aware of any cases like that when it comes to antibiotics in humans, but it's conceivable (moreso than Warp or Invisibility! ;) ), and I do know it can happen with other classes of drugs in real life.

Tags
disadvantage, immunity, resistant