Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-29-2009, 01:07 AM   #1
nik1979

Default Hight Tech Sporterising guns

despotic Gun Control in the Phils prevent me from having any informed Idea how to do Sporterise a guns for GURPS High Tech. Any guidelines opinions?

Can there be mods to affect Rcl and Stability?
Weight?
Add Automatic fire?
ex. SKS
MIB#2428
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:37 AM   #2
Ragitsu
Banned

Default Re: Hight Tech Sporterising guns

Funny you mention "despotic": doesn't the Characters book refer to Manila being controlled by crime?
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:40 AM   #3
The Benj

Sporterising (SUCH an ugly word!) would reduce RoF to 3 and remove things like silencers.

What in the world is Stability? That's a statistic for vehicles, not weapons!
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:23 AM   #4
nick012000

I think he meant Recoil, which wouldn't be affected unless you changed the ammunition it fires.
nick012000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:26 AM   #5
The Benj

But he already mentioned Recoil! In the same sentence!
*cries*
Old 08-29-2009, 02:50 AM   #6
nik1979

Well stability is an aspect of a gun is part of recoil. An unstable gun tends to buck in a less controllable way. Weight actually helps keep the gun partially stable. This is merely my book understanding, conversations with gun enthusiasts, and my own understanding of manufacturing of the matter and I could be wrong.

I want to "sporterize" an SKS for a game. Change the wooden body to a high impact composite. Apart from that, IF possible, I want to modify to have automatic capability (claims I would like to believe from questionable sources). Basically its a 7.62x39mm automatic with a 525mm barrel and a very light yet stable body. I like the long barrel for the better groupings (I'm absolutely biased towards battle rifles).

Well the truth of the matter is that the book's description of the Philippines is not that far from the actual. You can even say our "triads" don't work in shadows and in fact work out in the open (we have a impotent self correcting judicial body: office of the ombudsman doesn't tackle anything worth while without international pressure). We are top 3 of the most corrupt in asia, even legitimate actions need greasing (you can't even pay proper taxes or attain proper permits without a bureaucrat threatening to tie you up in red tape).

Its really a warlords paradise with a comfortable tech base and a very useful backdrop to run politically charged modern combat games against less well equipped and trained extra-military forces (warlords henchmen). There is are roughly around 20+ political murders here every year. Not to mention the human trafficking that goes on because of our huge labor export and the complications of being a "western" ally amidst a number of anti-western faction with porous borders.

I very much envy american gun rights.

Typical Philippine Scenario- Big Pork barrel (goverment spending deal) worth about $20M several or Corporation wanting to develop X despite certain protective laws in place (could be land, natural resources, a sector of the tech industry etc. ) factions are always trying to get a big piece. Apart from these factions messily maneuvering to get the largest piece, you have leaks and some civilians (typically small time local journalists or human rights activists) getting caught up in the wheels. Typically some people get killed and someone gets the money OR someone successfully leaks the information and survives long enough to get public and international moral outrage and these factions duck in low and merely get a slap on the wrist. Rinse, Lather and Repeat (ex. ZTE, Balikatan USAF donation, Phil-Russian Money Laundering, Fertilizer, Razon-Coal mining etc. )

Philippine Journalist Blogs and Forums have almost all the classic example cases of corruption: fixed biddings, secret biddings, conflict of interest deals, passed laws with "secret" provisions catering to a particular faction etc. etc.

Mercenaries here are plentiful thanks to our very corrupt and underfunded military and police, private armies go with the territory when you reach status 3+.

We even allegedly have "secret' american base which includes a deep see port for submarines in mindanao. I've a friend who was sailing at night that allegedly saw a carrier pass through Philippine waters which didnt identify its colors when hailed (standard IFF proceedure at sea).
MIB#2428

Last edited by nik1979; 08-29-2009 at 03:01 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:54 AM   #7
nik1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
But he already mentioned Recoil! In the same sentence!
*cries*
Well just wanted to be clear because my readings tell me stability is not the only aspect that affects recoil. I've read the gass release outlets also help keep the guns stable and some of the moving parts in the gear box(correct term?) affect recoil.

I mentioned stability because I know it is can be a trade off when you go for a lighter body.
MIB#2428
Old 08-29-2009, 03:03 AM   #8
Ragitsu
Banned

I would think most magazines will be limited to under 15 rounds. Some strict territories may reduce this to 12 or less!

Kumusta ka.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:08 AM   #9
The Benj

Fantastic advertisement for the Phillipines as campaign setting aside, it sounds like you actually want to do the opposite of what I understand sporterising to mean.
In my understanding, it means changing a gun that would be illegal into one that is legal. Usually that means making it semi-auto rather than fully auto, shrinking the magazine size, etc.

But it sounds like you actually want to make a legal gun illegal, by making it full auto, changing the body, etc. Is that right?
Old 08-29-2009, 03:19 AM   #10
nik1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
I would think most magazines will be limited to under 15 rounds. Some strict territories may reduce this to 12 or less!

Kumusta ka.
:lol: Mabuti Naman (Fine) Kamusta rin (How do you do)

As for magazines I've seen pictures of SKS with 30 round AK mags.

Over here legal or illegal doesn't really matter, the ability of our law enforcing body is primarily focused on limiting certain political factions with limited focus on protecting the general public. Discrete and privileged civilians are always exceptions to the rule. Not that I own a nice piece of real steel but It would make for the plausibility of PCs owning certain arms.

Our regular army usually carries 18+ year old M16A2 modified to be carbines. (Yuck!) I bet they don't change the barrel or keep track of its usage. That would constitute malf 15?

Given PCs being mostly civilian, it would be more adequate for them to have a more rugged gun since gun maintenance/discipline interferes with their general productivity.
MIB#2428

Tags
high tech, high-tech