Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-06-2015, 09:21 PM   #11
thulben

Default Re: Odious Personal Habits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Ah yes, the old "what the mainstream calls atrocity many others call a fetish." Or circus act.
I'm not saying piercing/scarification. I'm saying "hey you... wanna watch me jam a needle into my arm/slice into it with a knife?" There's a difference between knowing something happened in the past and being made to bear witness to it in the present.
thulben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:24 PM   #12
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaRob View Post
Any are welcome; I'm especially interested in the -15-point habits. Thanks in advance for the ideas :)
Remember that -15 point OPHs are *very* bad - equivalent problems include you are an actual monster (Social Stigma Monster) or animal (Bestial), a dangerous lunatic who attacks purple things on sight (Severe Delusion), a serial torturer (Sadism) or rapist (Uncontrollable Appetite Sex).... This isn't something that's just irritating or disgusting, it's something most people think you should be locked up for, if not just shot on sight. You can (and almost always should) claim extra points for Enemy (law enforcement) for that, but that's the scale you are looking for.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:25 PM   #13
thulben

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyPro View Post
Wouldn't that be Bad Smell?
Yes! OPH is something you do, not something you are.
thulben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:12 AM   #14
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulben View Post
I'm not saying piercing/scarification. I'm saying "hey you... wanna watch me jam a needle into my arm/slice into it with a knife?" There's a difference between knowing something happened in the past and being made to bear witness to it in the present.
Circus act. For fun, I used to use a needle and thread to stitch my finger tips together and pull them tight. I barely broke the skin, but it seemed to disturb people.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:13 AM   #15
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulben View Post
Yes! OPH is something you do, not something you are.
Most people will at least unconsciously judge someone emitting rotten fish odors even they believe it to be genetic. "Why don't you just shower more often then?"
Old 10-07-2015, 04:56 AM   #16
Not

My reading of GURPS has it more concerned with effects than causes. And the effect is the reaction modifier.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:20 AM   #17
Bruno

No concept of personal space.

Inappropriate social touching (touching too much, OR not touching when expected to).

Eating food with your left hand.

Persistently using a disrespectful or incorrect mode of address. This can range from annoying and unprofessional, in a relatively relaxed country like America to really obnoxious in a language like Japanese. The Quakers were notorious for this - their persistent use of "thee" (the original second person singular) was too intimate for strangers.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:04 AM   #18
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
Cannibalism/anthropophagany or equivalent willing consumption of known sapients is one example, and used on several templates.

Public nudity.

Open homosexuality in some cultures, even when it's not something illegal warranting Social Stigma/Secret.
As if the two previous ones aren't also culture-dependent.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:07 AM   #19
WaterAndWindSpirit

Extreme arrogance, to the point of calling your friends your "followers", putting them down at every occasion, perpetually reminding your gaming buddies you are "the best witch on the [MMO] server", and the best at everything (especially if you're not, it's annoying enough if you can put your money where your mouth is), and generalized delusions of grandeur...

Yes, this is based on someone I knew, and believe me I wanted to punch him in the face several times, but he took me in his group when I was lonely and vulnerable, so I had to bear with him.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:09 AM   #20
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyPro View Post
Wouldn't that be Bad Smell?
Yes, it would. I think two key elements of OPH is that it's frequent behaviour so that other people observe you doing it and react negatively based on what they observe (if they've just heard that you do it, then it's Reputation), and also that if you're subject to sufficiently strong mind control or your mind is completely taken over then the OPH would no longer apply (unless the controller wants to maintain an impression that nothing has changed, by trying as best he can to copy the odious habit).

A better example of an OPH would be if the character very frequently rubs himself all over with rotten meat or rotten vegetable matter, or feces; obviously combined with "doesn't bathe as often as he ought to".
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantage, disadvantages, mental disadvantage, odious personal habit