Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #11
beevr

Default Re: Severe disadvantage + very easy mitigator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
That's an average of over an hour, daily, which is kind of a lot of time.
Yes. This is about as much as Disciplines of Faith or Vow limitations would require a Chi-based character to invest to keep his superpowers, if I'm not mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Also, if the demon knows about this, what's stopping it from just getting somebody else to tie him up and gag him or something?
The metaphysics of the setting. Driving the character insane is pretty much the only way the demon can communicate with the physical world. This is not The Devils Lawyer or Hellraiser type of demon.
beevr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #12
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by beevr View Post
Also, other players could help via some non-trivial anti-demonic actions.
Then the entire disadvantage pool should have an additional Demonic -X% modifier on it if any "standard" anti-demonic wards will work.

Also consider the classic mitigator case: bad eyesight with mitigator of corrective lenses. Easy to obtain, always worn. Wearing a holy symbol might work as an alternative mitigator if GM and player don't agree on what the twice daily prayers should be as a mitigator.

Last edited by Culture20; 07-14-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:16 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
If that matters, the campaign is supposed to be 'gritty super' power level. And all advantages are limited to TL10 Bio-Tech.
This seems incompatible with demonic curses. Maybe the character should just have a Delusion and Disciplines of Faith.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:56 AM   #14
beevr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
This seems incompatible with demonic curses. Maybe the character should just have a Delusion and Disciplines of Faith.
I meant player advantages, sorry for being unclear. But you have a very interesting take.

The trick is, the character will suffer from Phantom Voices, Flashbacks, Chronic Pain, if he fails ot follow the Disciplines. How would you describe/price that?
beevr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:33 AM   #15
Walrus

I'd start with Maintenance. Possible skills required are Meditation for the character, Religious Ritual for assistants and, in the case of actual possession, Exorcism to restore him. It has explicit price for 1 hour skilled task twice a day to begin with as well.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:28 AM   #16
Captain Joy

Quote:
I have a character idea, and I'd appreciate if you could share your views on appropriate point costs and other game balance issues that it might entail.
My instinct is to call this an Enemy disadvantage. Figure out how often the character will not be able to keep up his prayer regimen and use that to determine the frequency of appearance. The prayer regimen itself is a separate disadvantage. Maybe the two could be linked, but I'm not sure linking disadvantages is legal.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:30 AM   #17
Ashtagon

In effect, what you have is the Disciplines of Faith disadvantage. Because realistically, if the penalty is triggered, the player is almost certainly going to want a new character, and leave this one as an NPC until he is somehow cured off-camera.
Ashtagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:01 AM   #18
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
In effect, what you have is the Disciplines of Faith disadvantage
Agreed, but only if getting back on the prayer regimen reverses the damage, much like a Pact limitation [B113].

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
Because realistically, if the penalty is triggered, the player is almost certainly going to want a new character, and leave this one as an NPC until he is somehow cured off-camera.
Normally, failing to adhere to a Disciplines of Faith by itself results in a loss of earned character points for that adventure. If the penalty is significantly more than that, then a second disadvantage is called for.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 07-15-2014 at 07:09 AM. Reason: major addition; probably should have just made a second post
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:17 AM   #19
Ashtagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
Agreed, but only if getting back on the prayer regimen reverses the damage, much like a Pact limitation [B113].

Normally, failing to adhere to a Disciplines of Faith by itself results in a loss of earned character points for that adventure. If the penalty is significantly more than that, then a second disadvantage is called for.
Yes, of course. However, in this case, the penalty is so severe that the player may well say the character is no longer playable, and insist on having a new character in the interim while the first recovers. As such, since the penalty probably won't be played, it is in effect free points.
Ashtagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:39 AM   #20
cosmicfish

Just as an observation, the few times I have had something like this (a severe disadvantage with a "very easy" mitigator) proposed by a player I have told them some version of this:

Every game I run has at least some smart bad guys. The bigger the disadvantage, the more they will want to exploit it. You, as the player, have to expect that at some point any disadvantage will kick in, no matter the mitigation - there is no secret so deep, no mitigation so foolproof, that eventually it will not be exploited. So before you commit to this, are you going to be okay when some bad guy finally keeps you from your prayers and the demon takes you?
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantage, game balance, mitigator