Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-19-2009, 06:41 AM   #11
The Benj

Default Re: Vow: Not wear helmet

It's probably a -10 Vow in a setting where you'll be making yourself very vulnerable to getting shot in the head and dying.

Warhammer (and 40K for that matter) is not such a setting. It's an expression of the fact that heroes don't get shot in the head.

Last edited by The Benj; 09-19-2009 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Setting appropriateness
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #12
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Heh.

I'm busily filing the serial numbers off of 40k for my own setting, and my players demanded Bolters, until I pointed out to them that Gyrocs suck compared even standard chemical slugthrowers. The real advantage of a gyroc is the mini-missile, and that just doesn't fit into the 40k mythos.
Their damage is good. And they have a good enough diameter to use some nice explosive rounds.

Accuracy is not good though with out the minimissles.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:35 PM   #13
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
Wow...
So my Warrior-Priest "Helbar the Helmless" that I ran for about 10 years (1ed to 4ed) managed to seriously *** himself?

I had always priced it out as a quirk...

Hmm he has been retired for 2 years now...wonder if the GM would let my current PC have the 9 pts???
Depends. If the GM had an agreement to not kill your character was an idiot and not wearing a helmet, then it is a quirk.

But helmets are pretty much always the first piece of armor worn.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #14
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith View Post
Depends. If the GM had an agreement to not kill your character was an idiot and not wearing a helmet, then it is a quirk.

But helmets are pretty much always the first piece of armor worn.
Hmmm he was not an idiot...

He was a man trapped by circumstances.

He was a novitiate priest for the religion of the god of mercinary warriors.

Most of their number came from the ranks of mercinary condotta, so he was an experienced warrior by the time of his training as a priest.

But one of the early missions in his novitiate they were attacked in night camp. He slapped on his cuirbolli torso armor, couldn't find the d@!ned helmet, so went charging out of his tent, going after the enemy bare headed.

He did fairly well, the tide of the battle was turned, his comerades and superiors noted the crazy-brave bastard who went at the enemy bare headed, thus "Helbar the Helmless" was born.

(All back story for originial 100 pt character...I liked the sound of the name while i was noodling on the concept and put it down as a quirk...seemed like flavor at the time.)

He liked the image, he liked the name, he liked the rep...so he pretty much went bareheaded from that point on...

After a while he pretty much thought his god was protecting him (Clerical Investment 3, Blessed, and 25-30 pts of spells on 145 pts (100+dis+quirks) versus 10-15 pts of "warrior skills" meant he was probably right.

He did lace up the "Improved Chain" Coif one time tho...(DR 4/2).

The plan was he would stand out...As BAIT...to lure the Dragon into stooping down on him...thus bringing it into range of the rest of the Party.

Even putting Resist Fire and Armor 5 on himself it was a desperate plan; he figured god could use all the help he can get.

Never had an agreement with the GM tho...couple of people took shots at his head over the years, but as the party healer, I tended to fight him cautious. So With a Medium Shield, PD 5-6, and Shield skill being one of his higher ones they never did really connect.

Good times tho...Quirks one of roleplayings best inventions EVAH!!
Old 09-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #15
LemmingLord

If the gods DO protect the character, its an advantage, DR, head only, cannot wear armor, and some level of pact.

If the gods do not protect the character, I'd probably look at their religiosity in total and count it as a delusion of between quirk and -15 point level, which includes the vow to wear no helmet amongst everything else.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #16
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
If you look under DR and the limitation Partial, arm and leg armor are considered more valuable than head armor. So while the head is a more valuable target, it's also a lot harder to hit. I would suggest -5 points.
That does look better for the Great Vow version. I've been treating Cannot Wear Armor as equivalent to a Major Vow for some years now, which suggests a -3 point valuation for Cannot Wear Helmet.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #17
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
In Warhammer, the knights of Ulric do not wear helmets, trusting instead to their god. What kind of Vow are we looking at here?
I'd call it the same as -1IQ. 20pts. :-)
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:24 PM   #18
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I'd call it the same as -1IQ. 20pts. :-)
You'd also have to take Delusion: God will Protect my Head
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantage, q&a