Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
Guver

Default Charisma: Can we learn it?

I'm the Director of a 100% realistic game, cinematic = 0% :).
Now, one of the characters started with 1 level of Charisma (5 points), and after 2 sessions of play, he wants to increase it to the second level (10 points).
Now, he has the points... but it's charisma an improvable Advantage?
What would you say?
Would say "yes, but in 8 more sessions?"

Thanks in advance,
Guver.
Guver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
Guver

Default Re: Charisma: Can we learn it?

And what about ambidexterity?
Old 02-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Kalzazz

Id be willing to allow it

Id definitely allow Ambidexterity since I think off hand weapon training is very gainable (I have this for a couple things), and it says 5x Off Hand Weapon Training can convert to Ambidexterity
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guver View Post
"Director"? It seems weird to me that you want to use a cinematic stand-in for "Game-Master" but the game isn't cinematic.
Quote:
Now, one of the characters started with 1 level of Charisma (5 points), and after 2 sessions of play, he wants to increase it to the second level (10 points).
What would you say?
In a super simultationist game, I don't even know if I'd allow Charisma at all. What does it really represent that isn't better covered by Appearance, Talents, and points in Influence Skills? At any rate, it seems to be inborn, so no I wouldn't allow him to improve it.

Quote:
Ambidexterity can be learned. In the past left handed people were often trained to be ambidextrous rather than "sinister". However it's usually just cheaper to get the Off Hand Weapon Training perk.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
What would you say?

Thanks in advance,
Guver.
Charisma is fundamentally social confidence and subtle mannerisms. It isn't impossible for it to change over time.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:13 PM   #6
ThomasSmith

I'm reasonably confident that ambidexterity is quite learnable, although generally people follow the pattern of learning to be ambidexterous for specific tasks before growing accustomed to using either hand.

Charisma is also learnable. I would say that Appearance is essentially inborn, but Charisma is confidence and mannerisms. Voice is more well-known as a thing to learn; voice training can give someone that resonant voice and clear speaking style. Actors and singers should have the Voice advantage even if they weren't "born with" it. (They should also have the Penetrating Voice perk, something granted by most voice training.)
ThomasSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
Guver

"Director"? It seems weird to me that you want to use a cinematic stand-in for "Game-Master" but the game isn't cinematic.

Yeah, I'm used to the word dungeon-master, for all my D&D years, and wasn't sure of how Gurps "DM" is called. LOL.

In a super simultationist game, I don't even know if I'd allow Charisma at all. What does it really represent that isn't better covered by Appearance, Talents, and points in Influence Skills? At any rate, it seems to be inborn, so no I wouldn't allow him to improve it.

At some point I agree with you. I think it is inborn, but nowhere on the book says so... so I had my doubts. Regarding the "don't allow charisma at all". I don't agree, Charisma is something that exist in real life, and thus should be allow in a realistic game. Otherwise it would be better marked as alien or supernatural.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
At some point I agree with you. I think it is inborn, but nowhere on the book says so... so I had my doubts.
To some extent, that's up to the individual GM. Some things are, some aren't, and some depend on the GM's judgment.

Quote:
Regarding the "don't allow charisma at all". I don't agree, Charisma is something that exist in real life, and thus should be allow in a realistic game. Otherwise it would be better marked as alien or supernatural.
That's also left up to the individual GM. Only things which are clearly on the other side of the edge of reality (extra heads, x-ray vision, etc.) are marked as such. The remainder is stuff which is clearly real, stuff which might be real, and stuff which is probably real but only to a certain extent. Charisma, for example, is effectively a specialized talent (small-t; I'm not arguing it's a version of the Talent advantage) for making a good first impression. Is that real? Maybe. I can see people having that; I certainly can't prove that it isn't real. Can it be learned? Well, if it's real to begin with, I can't see why it couldn't be acquired later in life.

Were I to run a highly realistic campaign (never, ever gonna happen, so this may be bad advice), I'd let any social or psychological trait which was allowed at all to be learned after the start of play. However, I'd limit the rate at which such traits could be acquired. I'd probably use the learning rules, treating any social activity as "on the job training" time for picking up social traits.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
PK

Quote:
What would you say?
Yes, it's definitely improvable. At heart, Charisma is a mix of confidence and an intuitive understanding of social graces and psychology. All of that is learnable/trainable. Now, I can understand you not wanting him to ramp up after two sessions, but that's up to your play style. Personally, I think going from +1 to +2 is a pretty small change -- it actually becomes more difficult to believe as the numbers grow higher. So if you say two play sessions for +2, you might want to say four more before +3, another eight more before +4, and so on.
Quote:
Certainly. Off-Hand Weapon Training is a 1-point perk (changed from the Basic Set) for any skill, and when someone learns 5 of them, the GM should allow them to switch it over to Ambidexterity -- once you learn how to do enough things with both hands, it's easy to carry that training over to everything.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm used to the word dungeon-master, for all my D&D years, and wasn't sure of how Gurps "DM" is called. LOL.
Usually just GM, for Game Master, like most RPGs.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #10
Agramer

If you have trouble with "spikes" in PCs advancement after cashing in CPs,easiest thing is to say that any CP investment to any advantage,skill..etc can be made by only 1 CP/game session.
That way you wont get peasant character learn how to defeat 10 enemy's with sword after 3 sessions ;).

Also,time-line of advancements will have more "natural" feel.

Ambi and Charisma are both learn able.

If unsure what charisma is ,some really good explanations are above in posts,you can look at it as opposite of Shyness(one cripples your social interactions...other improves them.....and both can be dealt with(bought off /or up).

Great community...give it a try :)
Agramer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantages