Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-22-2019, 09:44 AM   #1
awesomenessofme1

Default How to price Sense-Based if it must go through *all* of more than one sense?

This question is in the context of the limitation version, but if you have an opinion or source for the enhancement version, that could be useful too.

The Basic Set says Sense-Based is worth -20% if it goes through one sense, -15% for two, and -10% for three. Based on the price, it's clear that it can go through any of the two or three senses. What would it be worth if the ability has to go through both or all three of them?

For context, I'm trying to create a geas-style ability where the target must be able to see and hear the user for it to be effective.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:46 AM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: How to price Sense-Based if it must go through *all* of more than one sense?

I’d be tempted to go with -10% for each additional sense. As for Lelouch’s geass, I’m not certain that required him to speak the orders, it’s just that was the most convenient way to give them. Presumably, he could have used his geass to make them suggestible, then given the orders via sign language, cue cards, etc. He never tried to give orders to a deaf person (or one with earplugs), so it’s hard to say.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:10 AM   #3
whswhs

Default Re: How to price Sense-Based if it must go through *all* of more than one sense?

I might go for -20% for one sense, and another -20% for each additional mandatory sense.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:20 AM   #4
Anaraxes

I'd just go with the reverse of the existing sequence, -5% per extra sense (so -20%, -25%, -30%). Requiring a second sense doesn't add a whole lot of extra inconvenience or vulnerability. Sure, you can concoct scenarios like "he can see me but stealth is vital right now" where losing just one sense takes out the ability -- in fact, the GM is practically obligated to do so to make the Limitation interesting -- but they're not really going to be routine compared to not having the opportunity to use the power or having the subject available.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:30 AM   #5
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I’d be tempted to go with -10% for each additional sense. As for Lelouch’s geass, I’m not certain that required him to speak the orders, it’s just that was the most convenient way to give them. Presumably, he could have used his geass to make them suggestible, then given the orders via sign language, cue cards, etc. He never tried to give orders to a deaf person (or one with earplugs), so it’s hard to say.
I'm not sure what you're talking about (my only knowledge of geas comes from D&D), but thank you anyway for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I'd just go with the reverse of the existing sequence, -5% per extra sense (so -20%, -25%, -30%). Requiring a second sense doesn't add a whole lot of extra inconvenience or vulnerability. Sure, you can concoct scenarios like "he can see me but stealth is vital right now" where losing just one sense takes out the ability -- in fact, the GM is practically obligated to do so to make the Limitation interesting -- but they're not really going to be routine compared to not having the opportunity to use the power or having the subject available.
This is the one that I'll go with. I think it should be a noticeable change, but not a massive one. This was largely just a thought experiment anyway, since this is for NPCs.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:30 PM   #6
binn05

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
I'm not sure what you're talking about (my only knowledge of geas comes from D&D), but thank you anyway for the advice.
It is from the anime/manga Code Geass.