Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-02-2015, 02:36 AM   #1
Anders

Default Alternate Blows from GURPS: Celtic Myth

From the text:

"Alternate blows wound or heal you. The first attack that hits you does normal damage. The next hit heals that amount of lost [HP]. The third blow damages you, etc. The advantage takes up where it left off at the end of the last combat."

So... DR (Absorption, heals +80%, every other blow -20%, physical attacks only -20%) equals 7 points/level. This is not going to be cheap. And of course, it only heals half as much as you get hurt.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
Old 08-02-2015, 03:23 AM   #2
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Default Re: Alternate Blows from GURPS: Celtic Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
From the text:

"Alternate blows wound or heal you. The first attack that hits you does normal damage. The next hit heals that amount of lost [HP]. The third blow damages you, etc. The advantage takes up where it left off at the end of the last combat."

So... DR (Absorption, heals +80%, every other blow -20%, physical attacks only -20%) equals 7 points/level. This is not going to be cheap. And of course, it only heals half as much as you get hurt.

Regen to vitality reserve that is released with the even numbered strikes?

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:59 AM   #3
Anders

Reflexive Healing coupled with Energy Reserve, maybe. Anyway, this is not going to be a cheap advantage. In the original it cost 75 points and I doubt it'll be cheaper in 4th. Hmm...
Old 08-02-2015, 04:19 AM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
From the text:

Actually, this is the most elegant I've seen to date. This is exactly what I'd use, but I'd figure out the maximum dice of damage the setting has and then set the DR to that amount. For most typical fantasy settings this is probably going to be 4d for muscle-powered weaponry, so DR 24 (Absorption, Heal only, +80%, Accessibility, Every other blow -20%, Limited, Physical attacks, -20%) [168]. Hacking together something else might work, but this is simple and easy to use. Expensive as hell - but I like it.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:31 AM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Is there some restriction to prevent allies from alternating a light blow to hurt with a heavy blow to heal when given a chance?
Old 08-02-2015, 04:39 AM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Is there some restriction to prevent allies from alternating a light blow to hurt with a heavy blow to heal when given a chance?
I don't have Celtic Myth on PDF and I'm not digging for my copy - but I don't remember a restriction on it. As a GM I'd probably tack on another -20% so that you can't actually pull you punches to game the trait.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:44 AM   #7
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Doesn't say anything about it. Remember though that that eats attacks from your allies. I don't see it as breaking.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:20 AM   #8
Bruno

Quote:
Doesn't say anything about it. Remember though that that eats attacks from your allies. I don't see it as breaking.
I think the concern was for out-of-combat rapid patching-you-up.

It's only useful if you're not too near a death-check though; otherwise that light blow might push you over and the second blow won't save you from the death-check.

Now, Ghuls are interesting for the second blow bringing it back to life. Which is a rather more extreme version of the same idea.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantages, celtic myth