Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #41
The Benj

Default Re: RPM: Dresden Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
the took Storm Front make the typical movie adaption changes to the story then with the writers blessing let it go off in it own continuity, such as Beanka and Harry having an actual working simualr to one one he has with john Markone and the White Council being run by dragons. and Justin being Harry's Uncle [mother's brother]
And it was the High Council in the show (I assume they were worried about White Council sounding racist?).
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #42
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I always thought of it as more a bubble. But yeah, those could be added, the cost won't change.
Um, shouldn't reducing the cost of the DR with those limitations reduce the cost?

After all, if it didn't make any difference in his cost/effort he'd make himself impervious for the same hassle.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #43
Nosforontu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Um, shouldn't reducing the cost of the DR with those limitations reduce the cost?

After all, if it didn't make any difference in his cost/effort he'd make himself impervious for the same hassle.
The enhancement rules for damage spells in RPM indicate that limitations can be added to the spell to reduce the energy cost of any enhancements that the spell has but cannot reduce the price beyond cancelling out the Enhancements stacked on the spell.

Presumably this rule can be floated to other aspects of the RPM systems as well.
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #44
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post

Alright. Take two:

His shield bracelet is a Bound spell. I'd use the same stats for a Amulet for the bracelet so it might look like this:

Early Version:

Defense Bonus Meta-Trait 2 (Accessibility, Only while DR is active, -10%; Bracelet, -45%; Magical, -10%) [21] + DR 31 (Bracelet, -45%; Costs 1 FP, -5%; Directional, Front, -20%; Force Field, +20%; Hardened 2, +40%; Limited, Ranged Physical, -40%; Magical, -10%; Requires Active Defense roll, -40%' Semi-Ablative, -20%) [31]. 52 points.

Latter Version:

Defense Bonus Meta-Trait 3 (Accessibility, Only while DR is active, -10%; Bracelet, -45%; Magical, -10%) [32] + DR 53 (Bracelet, -45%; Costs 2 FP, -10%; Directional, Front, -20%; Force Field, +20%; Hardened 2, +40%; Magical, -10%; Requires Active Defense roll, -40%; Semi-Ablative, -20%) [53]. 85 points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosforontu View Post
The enhancement rules for damage spells in RPM indicate that limitations can be added to the spell to reduce the energy cost of any enhancements that the spell has but cannot reduce the price beyond cancelling out the Enhancements stacked on the spell.

Presumably this rule can be floated to other aspects of the RPM systems as well.
I wouldn't. Maybe a few of them (Persistent and Mobile for spells with the Area of Effect modifier). But I experimented with this. It breaks things.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 10-10-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #45
JP42

Okay, I usually feel like I can carry my own in these conversations, but can I get a reference for "Defense Meta-Trait"?
JP42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #46
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP42 View Post
Okay, I usually feel like I can carry my own in these conversations, but can I get a reference for "Defense Meta-Trait"?
I'm not sure where it was originally made - may be Supers.

In any case, it's just Enhanced Dodge + Enhanced Parry + Enhanced Block.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #47
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Supers (p. 34) - and should be "Defense Bonus Meta-Trait" - I left out a word, apologies.

Become a Patron!
Old 10-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #48
JP42

Quote:
Supers (p. 34) - and should be "Defense Bonus Meta-Trait" - I left out a word, apologies.
Pas problem, Ghost. I wasn't looking in Supers, I was grepping my way through Basic and Powers, so I'd never have found it.
JP42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #49
Nosforontu

Quote:
I wouldn't. Maybe a few of them (Persistent and Mobile for spells with the Area of Effect modifier). But I experimented with this. It breaks things.
Thanks for the heads up it is something that I will definately have to keep an eye out for in play then.
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #50
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Pas problem, Ghost. I wasn't looking in Supers, I was grepping my way through Basic and Powers, so I'd never have found it.
:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosforontu View Post
Thanks for the heads up it is something that I will definately have to keep an eye out for in play then.
I hope I don't come off as a know-it-all - that is not my intent. I have bent and played with this system so much that most of the things people ask, I already know because I've tried it. For instance, I have 22 different enchantment methods that I've used and discarded for my own games. And I can't tell you how many ways I've played with the spells.

But trust me when I say, adding enhancements willy-nilly on anything other than a Damaging spell creates rituals that are either too wimpy for the cost or too powerful.

Become a Patron!

Tags
ritual path magic