Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
Anders

Default [RPM] Alternative Path Structure

The Path structure in Monster Hunters is great for a modern game. Maybe not so much for a Bronze Age game*, though. Has anyone experimented with alternative path structures? Any thoughts on this?

Re: Bronze Age - maybe I should go with my gods... there's not really much of philosophy yet so the Elements may not be entirely appropriate. But I want to keep religion and magic separate. Hmm... Any thoughts on this?

And RPK, I expect a discussion on this in the book on RPM or you will make me sad. You don't want to make me cry, do you?

ETA:*my main problem is with the Path of Energy, since energy is such a modern concept.

Last edited by Anders; 05-10-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Anders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [RPM] Alternative Path Structure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
I have worked with alternate path structures. Like you can specialize with certain skills, I figured you could do the same with Paths. I discussed this in a thread a long time ago. You could make Path of Energy IQ/VH become Path of Fire IQ/H and so on and so forth. By RAW, you technically can use the base skill at -2, obviously. I guess you could probably go for IQ/A and make no base default.
And this is report-worthy precisely why?
Old 05-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
Humabout

You could lays break down the raw rpm skills into more narrow subsets with optional specialties. I know PK has suggested this before. This sort of creates similar effects on difficulty as the suggested skill difficulties in symbolic magic and noun/verb magic in thaumatology (idhmbwm, so no page numbers).

[ninja'd]

As for actual structure and what to encompass with skills, I'd need to know more about you setting to help.

If its any assistance, I use rpm for all magic and miracles that aren't better represented by powers or divine favor. Magic follows pretty traditional lines, shamanism generally has more detailed specialties concerning spirits, religious magic (saintly miracles use divine favor) typically concerns itself with protection, healing and more esoteric branches known to the most devout that involve directly combatting evil. Those who want to delve down godetia or theurgy find a path skill per spirit limited to whatever that spirit offers (which tends to be more randomly hodgepodged together). Nothing too original, but hopefully helpful to you.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
Langy

I've not gamed it out, but I was planning on an alternative path structure for RPM. It was based on an expansion of classic elements, where each element got its own path. There were eight elements, with each element having an 'opposite'. The elements I was going to use were something like this:

Earth: This includes rituals to alter the earth and terrain, including objects made of metal or stone. It also includes rituals to increase the size or strength of an object or person, including strength of will. When doing mind-magic, this can influence the 'stubbornness'. Opposed by Air.

Air: This includes rituals to alter the air and some weather, including gusts of wind and blasts of lightning. It also includes rituals to increase the speed of an object or person, including speed of thought. When doing mind-magic, this can influence 'flightiness'. Opposed by Earth.

Fire: This includes the ability to create and alter fire and heat, including launching fireballs and other common combat magic. When doing mind-magic, this can influence passions, including anger and lust. Opposed by Water.

Water: This includes the ability to alter and shape water and ice, including some weather magic such as rain and floods and launching projectiles of ice. When doing mind-magic, this can cool down passions, influencing 'calmness'. Opposed by Fire.

Magic/Arcane: This includes the ability to alter and create magical structures, as well as to infuse objects with magic. This also includes the ability to animate objects and bodies, creating some forms of the undead. This can also be used to 'heal' undead creatures or to create blasts of pure magical energy in battle. Opposed by Life.

Life/Vitae: This includes the ability to heal and to alter living creatures, such as perform shapeshifting magic. This also includes the ability to command nonsapient plants and animals. Opposed by Magic.

Time/Destiny: This includes the ability to alter the flow of time and the rules of chance, allowing time travel and blessings. This also includes the ability to see into the future, predicting what is to come. Opposed by the Void.

Void/Entropy: This includes the ability to alter the fabric of space, allowing the creation of gateways or large gravitational pulls. This also includes the ability to create intense cold and to read and control the thoughts of sapient beings. Opposed by Time.

The last two elements would have been incredibly rare, probably requiring an Unusual Background to have access to. I don't think I'd allow opposed elements to be used together, maybe even not allowing a single person to learn two elements that are opposed to each other, but at the least they can always cancel each other out/protect against one another.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Refplace

I havent gamed it but I made several alternate Path structures and posted it here.
Vampires had one representring various Diciplines, so it was a redoing of VtM for GURPS.

Elves had an alternate system based on Chinese elemental magic and the Muses.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
mehrkat

I would love to see your vampires disciplines as RPM system if you are willing to share.

I've been creating vampiric disciplines as powers along an alternative power structure for each level (with the ones that fits).
Old 05-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrkat View Post
I would love to see your vampires disciplines as RPM system if you are willing to share.

I've been creating vampiric disciplines as powers along an alternative power structure for each level (with the ones that fits).
I may dig up my latest notes and see if any changes are useful. But here are some links to prior threads on it.
RPM
Body, Chance, Crossroads, Energy, Magic, Matter, Mind, Spirit, Undead.
Vampire Think of the VtM Discipline system replaced by RPM with the following paths.
Bacchus, Bala, Deimos, Fenris, Juno, Leto, Lilith, Orion, Poseidon, Proteus, Set
Kaya
Earth, Fire, Memory, Metal, Water, Wood
Note that the elements have symbolic matches as well its not just the actual element.

Gnomes use a system called Power tapping which I have yet to work out all the details but their gem magic is going to use RPM, Symbol magic or some combination. Plus modular abilities.

Vampires

Kaya (Elves)

List of publsihed Paths
Quote:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=101630
and such thread.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
Anaraxes

People in the Bronze Age were quite familiar with energy -- fire, lightning, hydraulics, wind. They didn't use modern names or have the same system of physics, but I don't see why a Bronze Age magician would be unable to manipulate energy using their own concepts of it.

For classical elements, it might be useful to keep in mind that actual objects are composed of varying combinations of the elements. There always seems to be this tendency to categorize effects as exactly one element, and make the colleges or paths exclusive. But that neither fits the source, nor is necessary -- and for RPM, it might even be beneficial for effects to require multiple Path skills. Even individual elements had multiple properties: fire is hot (of course) but also dry; Earth is dry and cold. Any given effect might need a little Fire and a goodly amount of Water and just a touch of Air.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #9
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
People in the Bronze Age were quite familiar with energy -- fire, lightning, hydraulics, wind. They didn't use modern names or have the same system of physics, but I don't see why a Bronze Age magician would be unable to manipulate energy using their own concepts of it.
But they are not unified under a single name. To them, it would be like making a Path of Cinnamon, Mathematics and Kittens. Yes, I know what all these are but why put them in one place?
Old 05-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
But they are not unified under a single name. To them, it would be like making a Path of Cinnamon, Mathematics and Kittens. Yes, I know what all these are but why put them in one place?
Because they're your Path of Hobby?

Tags
ritual path magic