Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #31
Anaraxes

Default Re: [RPM] Different Setting and Different Paths

Charms also bypass the stacking limitations while they're inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH1
The stacking rules (p.37) apply to conditional rituals as well – a subject cannot be protected by two conditional rituals with the same effect, or be covered by a conditional ritual with the same effect as an active spell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPK
Note that the rules on stacking spells explicitly apply to conditional spells as well -- you cannot hang the same spell effect on the same subject (including yourself). One way around this is to make the spells as charms -- that way the spell isn't in effect until you break the charm. So you could have 20 lightning-bolt charms, but not 20 lightning bolts ready to go if you snap your fingers. It's a subtle but important difference.
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=31
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #32
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfoxbr View Post
But this is allowed in the normal rules? This will not make charms unnecessary?
It's not just "allowed" -- it's expected! "Cause blindness in the person I'm pointing at when I say 'noseeum blankum' " is a perfectly valid trigger for a conditional spell.

Just remember that the spell stacking limit applies to conditional ("hung") spells, too. So a caster can't have five Greater Create Energy "fireball" spells hung on himself, just one.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #33
jamesfoxbr

Thank you very much for all! This is perfect to my campaign!
jamesfoxbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #34
Adelus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Just remember that the spell stacking limit applies to conditional ("hung") spells, too. So a caster can't have five Greater Create Energy "fireball" spells hung on himself, just one.
Just a question for clarification: Does the stacking limit apply to charms cast on different objects as well?

I.E., can a necromancer have Greater Create Undead hanging on themselves as a standard conditional, and then Greater Create Undead hanging as three separate charms in addition?
Adelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #35
vierasmarius

Hmm... is there some way to remove the transferability of Charms, without removing their ability to stack duplicates of the same Effects? Or alternately, to allow a mage to buy extra Conditional Ritual "slots" that can stack?

Also, if a mage has Compartmentalized Mind does each partition have a separate Charm limit, or do they all share? If the former, I could see using a heavily-limited CM to "expand" a mage's spell slots, including allowing one set of duplicate Effects.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #36
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelus View Post
Just a question for clarification: Does the stacking limit apply to charms cast on different objects as well?

I.E., can a necromancer have Greater Create Undead hanging on themselves as a standard conditional, and then Greater Create Undead hanging as three separate charms in addition?
If you look upthread Anaraxes already posted a reply from PK that answers this.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #37
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Hmm... is there some way to remove the transferability of Charms, without removing their ability to stack duplicates of the same Effects? Or alternately, to allow a mage to buy extra Conditional Ritual "slots" that can stack?
I'd think a perk might allow this for a specific spell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Also, if a mage has Compartmentalized Mind does each partition have a separate Charm limit, or do they all share? If the former, I could see using a heavily-limited CM to "expand" a mage's spell slots, including allowing one set of duplicate Effects.
Hmm, my gut says that one caster = one limit. I of course could be wrong.

Ghostdancer

Become a Patron!
Old 07-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #38
Terwin

When refilling your Magery based energy pool, is there a need to 'stop' gathering for a certain number of seconds to avoid the 3rd attempt penalty, or is is just assumed that each 5 second draw is independent?

Does this also limit critical failures during energy pool re-charging to the minimum of a 20 energy negative effect?

Seems like if you use Energy pool+10 as a cap to your spell energy, you can minimize the possible negative consequences of your casting.

Hmm, how serious would a 20 point back-lash be?

Seems like so long as there is nothing obviously dangerous near-by it would be pretty limited.
Terwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #39
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terwin View Post
When refilling your Magery based energy pool, is there a need to 'stop' gathering for a certain number of seconds to avoid the 3rd attempt penalty, or is is just assumed that each 5 second draw is independent?
I suppose you could stop before every third attempt but that reeks of meta-gaming. Remember, it is assumed that a caster tops himself up between sessions. I've personally extended this to any "scene" where the caster would have enough time to top off.

Quote:
Does this also limit critical failures during energy pool re-charging to the minimum of a 20 energy negative effect?
You ignore quirks when you refill your reserve.

Quote:
Seems like if you use Energy pool+10 as a cap to your spell energy, you can minimize the possible negative consequences of your casting.
Elaborate please.

Quote:
Hmm, how serious would a 20 point back-lash be?
Depends on the Path being used. A 20 point backlash for Path of Crossroads is very different from a Path of Body one. 20 points is enough to buy -4 worth of penalties on a broad category for Bestows a Penalty. -100 points worth of disadvantages, or 20-points worth of advantages to help a foe. Well, you still need to add other effects like Duration, Range, etc. but you get the idea.

Quote:
Seems like so long as there is nothing obviously dangerous near-by it would be pretty limited.
Not really.

Become a Patron!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #40
Terwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Depends on the Path being used. A 20 point backlash for Path of Crossroads is very different from a Path of Body one. 20 points is enough to buy -4 worth of penalties on a broad category for Bestows a Penalty. -100 points worth of disadvantages, or 20-points worth of advantages to help a foe. Well, you still need to add other effects like Duration, Range, etc. but you get the idea.
Minimizing backlash:
If you gather ambient energy until you have 10+ energy, then tap your internal (magery-based) reserve for the rest, you do not open yourself up to larger backlashes than the minimum.

Smite(20):
Destroy Body(5)
Weight: 300lbs +3
Damage: 4d +12
Am I missing anything here?

So a 20 point backlash could be 4d of damage on the mage?
Terwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ritual path magic