Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #11
Terwin

Default Re: RPM grimoire only

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrkat View Post
I've been trying to figure out how I wanted to deal with calculation time. I've got an inspiration for a "typical" fantasy game where the magic system is RPM but they can only do "precasts". Basically require them to have a safe space to cast.
In my brain it feels a lot like fire and forget magic.

However, maybe Peter's idea for required rituals might work as my main problem is how do I keep from boring my nonmage characters.
Something to consider:
Unless you are in a position to take -10 to skill, each gather attempt takes at least 1 combat turn, (up to 5 turns with Adept, and 'not in combat' times without adept)
So there should be plenty of time to calculate the cost of a combat spell, while waiting to gather the needed mana.

Even outside of combat, a quick guestimate by the GM should work pretty well most of the time.

And don't forget that charms more or less need to be made at 'home', and would probably be down-time activities more than anything else.

Also, I suspect I would come up with a page or two of pre-calculated spells covering most common needs that you could pre-approve over email, just like charms.

Finally, as there are only a hand-full of tables that are relevant for calculating spell costs and I would probably print those out all on one sheet so there would not be any 'I know just the spell effect for this situation, just a sec while I look it up in the Magic book so that I have all the details' that slowed things down in that first game with syntactic magic.

Give a nice high limit on charms and there may be very few instances of even needing to cast during a session(aside from a series of rolls at the beginning while waiting for everyone to arrive, but that does not seem problematic as I am the host and you are usually the first to arrive)

Last edited by Terwin; 10-11-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Terwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ritual path magic