Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-02-2016, 12:30 PM   #131
David Johnston2

Default Re: Lucy's Choice: Let's make Lucifer Parallels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuk the Weekah View Post
Would this have worked? I guess what I'm asking is what is the range of the mind reading? If it is passive and always-on, with a range in kilometres, then would someone else, not in the visual range of the Agent, have suddenly noticed someone not 'hearing'--and then noticed someone not thinking?
No if they were in range to hear a neighbouring community they'd move since there's a reason why they don't live in cities any more.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:32 PM   #132
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The highlander world is not a hell world, but its a FANTASTIC place to run a game. It gives an unending stream of supervillians who have a rational reason for doomsday plots and a sense that the world could end at any failure.

For playability I'd personally slow down the point gain past a certain point --- lets say 1000.

Quote:
In Underworld, a lithovoric species of SM+16 hexapods evolved in earth's upper mantle. Boyancy effects made them treat the partially-molten rock of the Mohorovicic discontinuity as a boggy "ground," and they eventually developed a society and technology. They finally broke through to the surface world in 1984, their exploratory borehole a cataclysmic volcano in Antarctica.
SM+16. That's... 1 km long. Holy Cow. Can you really get enough of them to make a civilization? This is a Kaiju world. Still, Kilometer long magma hot things climbing all over the world? that's scary.

Quote:
In 1870, a chemical accident increases global human fertility dramatically, including safe multiple births. At first hailed as a blessing, virtually every nation is terribly overcrowded by 1960. Naturally, named Malthus.
I assume all this overcrowding just ends up in a dystopia where wars kill all the excess off. The great war never ended. Second sons are all shipped off to die on and endless series of no man's lands. but a good hell world.

Quote:
Spiderworld. Every ecological animal niche has been filled by arachnids; there are no other animals. Titan Walkers are large enough to carry a half a dozen trees on their backs with ease. It is not clear what Titan Walkers eat, but they are covered in eight-legged parasites the size of men, and those parasites are smaller mites.... A breed of spiders has evolved complex foreclaws that allow for careful manipulation of small items, and their (TL-0) intelligence is comparable to a human's. Local year 1402. There is a lot of argument over the designation of this as a hell world, but in the end, a particularly arachnophobic administrator got her way.
I like it. I take slight objection to the titan walkers, but the concept is pretty sound -- as well as its designation as a well world via beuracratic bias!

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #133
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
That depends on the level of mind reading. The OP seemed to imply that the experience is passive, and complete. If the reader is able to experience the world through the mind of the subject, the reader is going to be immediately aware that (s)he is not being read her/himself by the Other. Imagine that you run into literally the only person on Earth that cannot hear. How quickly do you figure it out?
Considering all the trouble many deaf people suffer for "not listening" and "ignoring me", I'd say pretty darn long.
But that interpretation turns it into a giant single hive mind with multiple bodies. I didn't get that impression from the description.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:59 PM   #134
(E)

X(files) world
A myth parralel, everything from horror literature is true. The oceans are inhabited by things man was not meant to know and every variety of giant aquatic organism. Since the early 90's urban environment has increasingly been populated by vampires, werewolves and other creatures of darkness. Police fall victim to a huge mortality rate or are psychotic killers them selves. Somehow a thin veneer normality clings to this world.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:08 PM   #135
patchwork

Quote:
Would this have worked? I guess what I'm asking is what is the range of the mind reading? If it is passive and always-on, with a range in kilometres, then would someone else, not in the visual range of the Agent, have suddenly noticed someone not 'hearing'--and then noticed someone not thinking?

If the idea is that people tend to live out of 'range' of others, then maybe he's safe. But the sense I got from the write-up is one step away from a hive-mind; in which case, I'm pretty sure that Infinity would treat this world as if it were a Hell world.
I had intended to have about the same range, precision (and variance between individuals) as vision, so that the isolated farmstead is a closed community. You can, of course, change that to suit your needs, and I wouldn't expect Infinity to stick around for rigorous testing.
patchwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:52 PM   #136
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
X(files) world
A myth parralel, everything from horror literature is true. The oceans are inhabited by things man was not meant to know and every variety of giant aquatic organism. Since the early 90's urban environment has increasingly been populated by vampires, werewolves and other creatures of darkness. Police fall victim to a huge mortality rate or are psychotic killers them selves. Somehow a thin veneer normality clings to this world.
Then you get the Buffyverse problem that the vast majority of humanity must be mind bogglingly stupid and/or delusional. Not to mention the question of why all these superhuman sapients and beasts allow mankind to rule and actively hide from them.
I like those kitchen sink settings, but without very strongly forced genre conventions, it all falls apart.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:16 PM   #137
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
X(files) world
Yeah, that's not a hell parallel. It's still well populated with human beings. Now, Kinrise, Nightlife's bad future, the one where the vampires managed to cast an anti-sunlight spell that meant most of the plants and humanity died and the monsters rule the endless night...that's a hell parallel.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #138
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Then you get the Buffyverse problem that the vast majority of humanity must be mind bogglingly stupid and/or delusional. Not to mention the question of why all these superhuman sapients and beasts allow mankind to rule and actively hide from them.
I like those kitchen sink settings, but without very strongly forced genre conventions, it all falls apart.
Play the required insanity for that level of delusional as part of the setting. Add in more more illogical and even completely incompatible features. When the players notice, stress that it is normal and logical. Turn the situation around so the characters sanity is in question not the world.

In other words it's not a Bug it's a feature.

Edit
And it's not just vampires it's everything from horror literature. Carnivorous slugs, Frankenstein's monster, Jason Vorhese, the thing, John Carpenter's Mouth of Madness and so on

Last edited by (E); 09-02-2016 at 06:24 PM.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:53 PM   #139
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Yeah, that's not a hell parallel. It's still well populated with human beings. Now, Kinrise, Nightlife's bad future, the one where the vampires managed to cast an anti-sunlight spell that meant most of the plants and humanity died and the monsters rule the endless night...that's a hell parallel.
That sounds like a hell for vampires as well. I remember an episode of Forever Knight where a possible planet killer was approaching. Lacroix lamented how the young "lucky" vampires would starve, but the immortal old ones would remain on a dark lifeless planet.
Who wants an empire of dust? Well, maybe, earth elementals would like the peace and quiet.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:15 PM   #140
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That sounds like a hell for vampires as well. I remember an episode of Forever Knight where a possible planet killer was approaching. Lacroix lamented how the young "lucky" vampires would starve, but the immortal old ones would remain on a dark lifeless planet.
Who wants an empire of dust? Well, maybe, earth elementals would like the peace and quiet.
In Nightlife, vampires could and did feed on other monsters.

Tags
adventure seeds, infinite worlds