Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 10-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
snappleapplepie

Default un-equipping and re-equipping (and some combat)

hi, im new to munchkin, played maybe 10 games so i have the basics but each time we play we scour the rule book for some small part of game play we overlook. this time its un-equipping and re-equipping.

1. so what we have been doing, for example: i have a 2 hand item in use and a 1 hand item on the table but turned to the side( is this legal, and how many items can i have on the table turned to the side/not in use?).

2. if i un-equip the 2 hand by turning it sideways, and equip the 1 hand, is that legal? or do i have to discard the un-equipped 2 hand?

3. once a card is on the table it cant be picked up and placed back into your hand. it can be traded, but must remain on the table, but can it be placed sideways/not in use because you cant use it yet, or dont want to use it yet after being traded?

4. last question (combat). can a one time use card be played any time during combat in any combat? for example you kick in the door and a level 10 monster is there, you fight it and would win, but another player interrupts within the 2.6 seconds and adds a +5 to the monster, so you in turn add some one time use +2 and +3 giving you enough to win. after all that has been done can they still add more one time use items against you, and does the 2.6 second rule apply each time i can kill the monster and declare it dead ?
snappleapplepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:56 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: un-equipping and re-equipping (and some combat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappleapplepie View Post
1. so what we have been doing, for example: i have a 2 hand item in use and a 1 hand item on the table but turned to the side( is this legal, and how many items can i have on the table turned to the side/not in use?).
As the rules say on page 3, you can have any number of small Items and one Big Item in play. So, what you're doing is legal, and you can have in play, theoretically, an infinite number of small Items, even ones you can't use for whatever reason.

Quote:
2. if i un-equip the 2 hand by turning it sideways, and equip the 1 hand, is that legal? or do i have to discard the un-equipped 2 hand?
The rules say that you can switch between used and unused except while you're in combat or Running Away. They also mention that you can't discard Items "just because," and there is no rule requiring you to discard Items to replace them. So, yes, what you're doing is legal.

Quote:
3. once a card is on the table it cant be picked up and placed back into your hand. it can be traded, but must remain on the table, but can it be placed sideways/not in use because you cant use it yet, or dont want to use it yet after being traded?
That's correct. Just because you received an Item doesn't mean you have to use it immediately. However, an Item that was traded to you or given to you must remain in play.

Quote:
4. last question (combat). can a one time use card be played any time during combat in any combat? for example you kick in the door and a level 10 monster is there, you fight it and would win, but another player interrupts within the 2.6 seconds and adds a +5 to the monster, so you in turn add some one time use +2 and +3 giving you enough to win. after all that has been done can they still add more one time use items against you, and does the 2.6 second rule apply each time i can kill the monster and declare it dead ?
The rule is that if you are winning combat, you must give people a reasonable amount of time to stop you. That means that if you go from winning to losing to winning, you're back to the point where you have to give everyone a reasonable amount of time to stop you again. Combat is not a fixed-step process.
MiB #1029

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 10-22-2014 at 02:19 PM. Reason: changed a critical "can't" to "can"
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
snappleapplepie

Default Re: un-equipping and re-equipping (and some combat)

thank you MunchkinMan
snappleapplepie is offline   Reply With Quote