Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
cheshire

Default Running out of genres?

Munchkin really has expanded a lot farther than I'd ever expected it to, and so I've been wondering, where can they go next? Are they going to continue into more niche ideas such as Axe Cop, or is there additional unexplored territory into which Munchkin can push. Perhaps Steam Punk Munchkin?
cheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
Pookiebob

Default Re: Running out of genres?

Still pulling for a Mythology set. That would be AWESOME.

If you think about it, Munchkin can go wherever they want to. They will never run out of genres unless they run out of creativity. They can make it into anything they want. Just a few options off the top of my head are Caveman, Atlantis, Hunting, and Goth sets. Now they might never do those, but it proves the point that they can make Munchkin out of anything!

They are ALMIGHTY! (ok maybe not, but we'll let them think they are...)
Pookiebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:02 AM   #3
ComBAT

Especially if they continue to release a new core set about once every 9 - 12 months. There are so many ideas for core sets and expansions that it can continue as long as there is a market for Munchkin and they keep finding creative and clever ideas for jokes and quips.
ComBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
WookieTheChew

I think Goth kind of falls in line with Bites. And Steam Punk is more or less covered across TGTBTM and Star.

Mythology would be very cool. As would time travel.
WookieTheChew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
Gospel X

I think everyone wants mythology, but there are various reasons why this hasn't quite happened yet.

As for time travel, it is kind of covered by blending sets. Star Munchkin covers the future, and various other sets cover periods of history. I guess Zombies and Cthulu kind of sorta cover the present. Maybe just blend in portals and create era cards to replace the dungeon cards.
Gospel X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
WookieTheChew

I guess what I mean by time travel would be more or less things like...Your future self as a monster or CURSE! Paradox! Though I shouldn't really speak of them as it's against the rules.

Please don't hit me, Andrew.
WookieTheChew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
Mister Ed

It seem like it might work better to toss some time travel-ly stuff into one of the existing genres like Super or Star, rather than doing a new set.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
Pookiebob

Another genre that might be fun would be an Alien Invasion set. Granted, they already did space but I'm talking about defending earth from being overrun by aliens. >:)
Pookiebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:50 PM   #9
Quotencommon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WookieTheChew View Post
I guess what I mean by time travel would be more or less things like...Your future self as a monster or CURSE! Paradox! Though I shouldn't really speak of them as it's against the rules.

Please don't hit me, Andrew.
There actually ARE cards that involve you meeting your future self and paradoxes (in boxes!) in the Star Munchkin series.
Quotencommon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:41 AM   #10
C. J. Burke

I like the ideas of more boosters that might bridge to genres, but the popularity would depend on the folks who bought both, so it might be a non-starter.

That said, making boosters that might spawn other boosters or even a full set in the future can be fun.
C. J. Burke is offline   Reply With Quote