Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 02-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
randomchance

Default ResurrectiCon and Cube Farm Questions

Hi everyone! Sorry if these questions have been asked before, but I couldn't find the answer. Played Zombies 3: Hideous Hideouts for the first time. Maybe we were all super tired, but had trouble with 2 cards.

ResurrectIcon: We just couldn't figure this one out at all. Does this mean if a monster is -2 against Atomic, for example, now they're not? Or do penalties turn into bonuses for monsters? Maybe we're just overthinking it.

Cube Farm of the Dead: Okay, we start out as tied. Does this mean if a monster is +2 against Fast zombies, now they're not? Because we're tied? I guess my question is when does the tie go into effect. The card seems to imply that only other dungeons affect combat strength, so we played as though any modifiers on the monster card did not count.

I apologize if I didn't explain these well. Thanks a lot for your help!!
randomchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: ResurrectiCon and Cube Farm Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomchance View Post
Hi everyone! Sorry if these questions have been asked before, but I couldn't find the answer. Played Zombies 3: Hideous Hideouts for the first time. Maybe we were all super tired, but had trouble with 2 cards.

ResurrectIcon: We just couldn't figure this one out at all. Does this mean if a monster is -2 against Atomic, for example, now they're not? Or do penalties turn into bonuses for monsters? Maybe we're just overthinking it.
Correct, you just ignore any -X penalties on the cards.

Quote:
Cube Farm of the Dead: Okay, we start out as tied. Does this mean if a monster is +2 against Fast zombies, now they're not? Because we're tied? I guess my question is when does the tie go into effect. The card seems to imply that only other dungeons affect combat strength, so we played as though any modifiers on the monster card did not count.
It's not quite like that. You don't ignore the bonus, but you do force the tie after the bonus is applied, I think.

Why I make this distinction is as follows. Let's use the example of Airport Security, which is +3 against Fast Zombies and we'll assume you have the Fast Power. You start off tied, let's say at 0, but if you decide to discard Fast, the monster would now be at -3 and you would be winning as his bonus no longer applies.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
randomchance

Ah! Thank you so much for the response. It's all clear now. And nice strategy for the Cube Farm card. I would never have thought of that.

Thanks again! :)
randomchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:12 AM   #4
PsyonicX

I hate to say, but even after the response to your question I am still completely confused as to how I should be playing the Cube Farm of the Undead card as far as dealing with gear and other modifiers. My friends and I hit a wall when we got to here and it stalled our game out. What was happening was we would tie the total level of the monster (gear and all) and the only way that we could beat anything was with one shot cards. we are still kinda new to the game so if there is a simple explanation that you can give us it would be much appreciated.
PsyonicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:21 AM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyonicX View Post
IWhat was happening was we would tie the total [combat strength] of the monster (gear and all) and the only way that we could beat anything was with one shot cards. we are still kinda new to the game so if there is a simple explanation that you can give us it would be much appreciated.
You don't need one; you were playing it exactly right. You could also get a helper and win that way; the battle STARTS tied, but everything after that point affects it.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:24 AM   #6
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyonicX View Post
I hate to say, but even after the response to your question I am still completely confused as to how I should be playing the Cube Farm of the Undead card as far as dealing with gear and other modifiers. My friends and I hit a wall when we got to here and it stalled our game out. What was happening was we would tie the total level of the monster (gear and all) and the only way that we could beat anything was with one shot cards. we are still kinda new to the game so if there is a simple explanation that you can give us it would be much appreciated.
It sounds like you have the right idea. Pick a combat strength (your initial strength, the monster's initial combat strength or even just 0 are all good values), and then just make all adjustments from that point on to that value. You will usually need one-shots in order to win in this Dungeon as you are always tied to begin with and monsters win ties.

Edit: I'm surprised I didn't think of getting a helper as a way to navigate the Cube Farm. I guess part of the reason is I've never seen that Dungeon come up in one of my play sessions.

Last edited by Clipper; 03-25-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:29 AM   #7
PsyonicX

Ok wasn't sure that we had the rule understood , but im glad to know that it was played right
PsyonicX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
zombies