Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
Signboy

Default Gnome Question

I searched the forum and FAQ, but couldn't come up with an answer.

Under what circumstances may a gnome use his ability to play a monster as a one shot item?

The text of the card indicates that this can be done in combat alone (the card has the italics).

I took this to mean that a gnome can only use this ability when fighting a monster in a combat in which another player does not help.

My friend felt that it means that a gnome can use this ability while in combat - whether his own or when helping out another munchkin. He argues that the alone only indicates that the ability cannot be used to aid a monster, because the gnome is not actually in combat at that time.

Are either of us correct?
Old 03-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
snarky

Default Re: Gnome Question

It's semantics, but I think that "alone" means just that - only the Gnome is fighting. If it were intended to simply mean "only in combat"...well, that's probably exactly what the card would say, or "in any combat".

I think the whole purpose of this ability is to allow a Gnome to pull a "helper" from his hand when his buddies aren't willing or able to help him.
snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
Signboy

Thank you snarky, that is essentially what I felt it meant. It makes the most logical sense.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

"Alone," in this case means that the Gnome must not have help in the form of another player joining him in the combat.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
Kirt

If a Gnome already has a helper, or already is a helper, he cannot use his illusion ability.

But if a gnome already used his illusion ability when he was, alone, the main combatant, he CAN ask for help.
If another munchkin agrees to come in to the combat as a helper, the monster illusion and any monster enhancers that have been played on it are discarded. See, for example, MM here.
Kirt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gnome, illusion