Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-24-2008, 04:11 AM   #11
demonsbane

Default Re: Gurps World's Largest Dungeon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewulf
It makes sense that you're being pitted into a test of your wits and powers by an ultra-powerful godlike wizard, though, who's gone insane with boredom from being immortal, so has to amuse himself by pitting you against the creatures.
Poor man. He is suffering the classic gamemaster's syndrome.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:23 AM   #12
younglorax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewulf
<snip>If you can make the char creation process easy by substituting hard char creation with random die rolls, then dying won't be so bad.
Well, randomly rolling Attributes for GURPS is easy enough: 6d6/2 round down. Repeat 4 times -- or 6, to have Will and Per not necessarily be the same as IQ!.

Quote:
All the skills in the book, selected with die rolls. The number of points in each, you decide, but the skills can only be selected with dice.
I've toyed with this idea before, but it's hard. There are SO MANY SKILLS. Unless you have a program handy to randomize and have the skills numbered (or the above mentioned program knows their numbers) it's just more hassle than it's worth.

One thing that might be interesting is to randomly give out 1 level of a Talent. Or 15 points worth of a Talent, if you prefer.

Another possibility is that they get to pick their "pseudo-class", and then roll randomly from their pseudo-class list.
Examples:
Jock -- includes various athletic skills
Nerd -- includes various booky skills
Socialite -- includes social skills
etc.

If you have 6 of them, then you can also roll randomly for a couple of "cross-class" skills. We could also add some other traits, perhaps... maybe a five point advantage associated with each PS. Socialite could have Charisma 1... not sure about the others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

It just occurred to me that Random Char Gen for GURPS could really be its own thread.... if this is hijacking, let me know.

ETA: What sort of format are you thinking for the Maps? Also, is the idea of this just a thought experiment, or do you think someone will someday bother playing it?

Last edited by younglorax; 02-24-2008 at 07:11 AM.
younglorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:25 PM   #13
Hastur

Relevant combat statistics

Assassin Beetle!
ST10 Hp 15
DX 10
IN 2 (reptilian)
HT10
move 5
speed 5
dodge 8
DR 2 (chitin shell)
High pain threshold
discriminatory smell
night vision +3
Perks
Born Biter: +2 SM when biting
Pincer Bite (impaling damage)
Barbed pincers
stable footed(ignore -2 bad footing penalty)
Skill
Brawl 11

Attacks:
Pincer Bite = Thrust 1d-2(+1 brawl bonus, +1 size/leverage, +1sharpness)
Mandible chew = 1d-2 (+1 brawl, +1 sharp) cutting

Assassin beetles are so named for their dark brown coloring and their tendency to track prey once scented, They will leap out and capture prey with their pincers and drag them back to their burrows while still alive, chewing on them all the way back. However if the captured prey struggles it will viciously shake them into submision, dealing biting damage again every second. Assassin Beetles naturally take shelter underground, but are on guard and excitable when not in close quarter tunnels, trenches or thick undergrowth.

NOTE: a man sized target is considered grappled by 2 hands (+5 harder to break free) due to the size of the pincers. and deal half as much damage coming out as they did coming in and are considered stuck.

Assassin Beetles have 6 legs, 6 eyes, 4 small ineffective wings 3 eyelight glands that shed light of candlelike intensity and are 3 feet tall and about 4 feet long.

(i post this here so you can put it into whatever format you like for your wiki)
Hastur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:05 PM   #14
Gavynn

I think this could be a fantastic project, but I do worry about it utility. I have heard of WLD (and seen the book sitting in my FLGS) but never considered picking it up. I woudl think a variety of smaller locations for DF would be more practical. But note that I have never been one to step away from a project just because it is not practical.

I like the idea of been dropped into the middle of a crazy wizard's lair though. I'd be against all of the random character generation, but that is something you could take or leave.
Gavynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:26 PM   #15
CraigR

I like the idea of a WLD as a sort of transit plane: You enter the maze and fight your way across to another access point that leads to your destination.
Planet Flipside
CraigR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:40 PM   #16
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigR
I like the idea of a WLD as a sort of transit plane: You enter the maze and fight your way across to another access point that leads to your destination.
Yeah, a "pure dungeon" could be a sort of supernatural dimension, so you don't need to worry about realism, ecologies, etc...

But if WLD would be that transit plane, maybe need to put some effort in keeping and portraying the right Dungeon Fantasy "specific" flavour. I mean with this not only regarding as very optional the Doom material (1), but still putting something else for it being representative of an "archetypical dungeon fantasy dungeon" .

Also, there is a sort of "danger" of design here: to the most quantity, results in less quality, most difficult to keep some degree of flavour and meaning, so I'm not convinced at all about the idea of making this "the largest". That it is a measure, extension, and hence quantity.

(1) It would be COOL, however, for an Ultratechnological Horror Dungeon. . .

Wolfgang Smith

My G+
Old 02-25-2008, 10:44 PM   #17
CraigR

Hehheh. Going "up" or "down" a level in the transit plane also causes you to traverse tech levels, or access to Hell dimensions...

Just an idle thought. Work would have to be put into guarding access points to prevent invasions. Of course, such a failure could be what resulted in Doom in the first place... :)
Planet Flipside
Old 02-25-2008, 10:48 PM   #18
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavynn
I like the idea of been dropped into the middle of a crazy wizard's lair though. I'd be against all of the random character generation, but that is something you could take or leave.

I agree with that, not being very fond of random generation.

The mad wizard-god theme has, despite the apparent lack of originality, a chance of fabulisimilitude (in Bill Stoddard words: "the likeness of real world myths"). So I like it, too.

Wolfgang Smith

My G+

Last edited by demonsbane; 02-25-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:54 PM   #19
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigR
Hehheh. Going "up" or "down" a level in the transit plane also causes you to traverse tech levels, or access to Hell dimensions... (...)
Hm, then it seems to me a bit beyond the viewpoint of Dungeon Fantasy, instead more in the line of Infinite Worlds.

Thinking again, the World Largest Dungeon isn't enough... What is about the Infinite Dungeon?! LOL

Wolfgang Smith

My G+
Old 02-25-2008, 10:57 PM   #20
CraigR

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane
Thinking again, the World Largest Dungeon isn't enough... What is about the Infinite Dungeon?! LOL
Which is, of course, the point of a dungeon transit plane. <grin>
Planet Flipside

Tags
cosmology