Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-13-2018, 06:17 AM   #21
Rupert

Default Re: Updated Rules for Planetary Creation

IMO, at the current point in time aside from systems that are simply impossible because they have planets inside the Roche Limit and other such things, anything seems to go. Thus a generation system should be angled to produce the sort of systems the game needs, with some nod to realism (planets round red dwarfs and of vaguely habitable temperature will probably be tidally locked, etc.) and be random enough to produce really weird stuff from time to time.

The old Traveller UWP generation system, followed by "and make the rest up" seems as good as any.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:17 AM   #22
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Updated Rules for Planetary Creation

I think when it comes down to it then is whether you build the star system around the story or the story around the star system. I tend to favor the latter approach because I think that the physical environment shapes the foundation of the story. If you have a story that involves just one star system, you should know the basics about every place that you could visit. Since every star system likely has a lot of physical strangeness, practically anything that you can think of that does not violate the fundamental laws of physics probably exists.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote