Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-26-2018, 07:20 PM   #11
Bruno

Default Re: Tail armor, for tailed PC and NPC?

A big fat lizard tail (from behind) might get hacked at simply for the pain-and-suffering-and-bleeding factor - frankly any tail that's more than just long hair might.

Consider the hysterics elicited when you accidentally step on a cats tail, even when the cat suffers minimal injury. HP loss and shock penalty isn't as good as HP loss, shock penalty, and a crippled arm or leg, but a crippled tail is still a major wound, with the usual risk of knockdown and stunning.

Tails might get armored before legs if they're non-balancing/non-prehensile and therefore "relatively" easy to armor, or if they're stiff and balancing (like some dinosaurs - also "relatively" easy to armor). They might get armored after legs if they're flexible and balancing (Cats a glaring example). They might get armored as soon as arms do if they're prehensile, or just shortly afterwards (being more awkward to armor than an arm, but still important).

I don't think anyone wants to leave any part of their body vulnerable, but the tradeoffs are a PITA.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:22 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Tail armor, for tailed PC and NPC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
No, it really isn't. Neither one can be practically hit from in front at all, and if you're behind your target, there are usually more useful things to hit.
A counterbalancing tail must remain rigid and far out from the body. I don't see how that could not be easier to hit than a back literally within an inch of one's center of balance and axis of movement.
But it's all arguable as neither of us can show real world proof either way.