Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-02-2020, 12:19 AM   #1
Pursuivant

Default Malediction as Limitation?

I'm trying to design a telepathic invisibility power which works by clouding the minds of nearby creatures.

I could just use bog-standard Invisibility and slap the Telepathic power limitation on it, but I want it to be resisted by Will and not work so well at range. For an attack power I'd use the Emanation and Resistible limitations but that doesn't work here.

Malediction enhancement with Sense-based as a limitation doesn't work because Invisibility normally works fine at range and only affects sight, making a single-sense Sense-Based limitation meaningless.

So, it seems simplest to allow the Malediction enhancement to serve as -20% limitation to powers which normally work unresisted, have no range, and which already affect just one sense like Chameleon, Invisibility, or Silence.

Likewise, the Resistible limitation could be worth an extra -10% for powers which normally aren't resisted, like the advantages listed above.

Are there any RAW examples of powers which work like my telepathic Invisibility power?

Are there RAW limitations which have the same effects as a modified form of Malediction + Resistible?
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:55 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Malediction as Limitation?

The Glamour limitation from GURPS Powers. p. 111
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:29 AM   #3
Imbicatus

It may also be worth looking into using the Invisibility Art cinematic skill as an alternative.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:09 AM   #4
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
So, it seems simplest to allow the Malediction enhancement to serve as -20% limitation to powers which normally work unresisted, have no range, and which already affect just one sense like Chameleon, Invisibility, or Silence.

Likewise, the Resistible limitation could be worth an extra -10% for powers which normally aren't resisted, like the advantages listed above.

Are there any RAW examples of powers which work like my telepathic Invisibility power?
Requires (Attribute) Roll was expanded in Power-Ups 8: Limitations in pretty much exactly this way.

if targets can resist the attribute roll you require to use the ability it's an additional -10% on top of the usual -10% for IQ/DX/HT or -5% for Will
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:41 AM   #5
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
The Glamour limitation from GURPS Powers. p. 111
Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.

I knew there was probably a RAW limitation somewhere but I'd forgotten exactly where.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:42 AM   #6
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbicatus View Post
It may also be worth looking into using the Invisibility Art cinematic skill as an alternative.
Good idea, but doesn't match the concept I'm going for.