Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-01-2020, 03:33 AM   #1
Lameth

Default RPM: Enochian

Im trying to mimic the enochian magic seen in the TV show Supernatural, essentially in RPH and have an issue below....

Currently I am basing it off the core skill religious ritual, due to the user that is using it very knowledgeable in angel lore, and Abrahamic lore. To her these are the sacred symbols from king Enoch, as he returned from heaven with new information. He then passes these magics down to his many sons, over 400 years, until his death. They then passes into the new world, into the hands of King Solomon who used them to bind 669 demons, summon storms, control the elements, summon ghosts and bind Jinn, as well as commune with angels from God.

After his death, his most loyal servants of the temple, hide the secrets away before the invading army could destroy the knowledge. These loyal warriors where the first bloodlines that would same day be the Templar knights. over 1000 years later, during the crusades, the holy lands where being plundered, and great wealth was being sent back to wealthy families in Europe. For hundreds of years these sacred lore was being stored in decerped castles, in the families of fallen royal blood. One day, centuries after the crusades, a true sorcerer and one of the power powerful of his times came a pone them during hunting for arcane lore, this was John Dee. He found these lost treasures of enochian glyphs, as well as a strange language with them, and saw their power. Over many years he wasted time and fortunes to try to uncode them. Finally he was able to summon an angel and made a deal with it for the knowledge of the glyphs and tongue, Adamic, the land of Adam and Eve. In time he was able to start working the magic, and found it very potent. Primarily the magic was focused in banishing, seals, wards, protections, healing, but also exceled in conjuring elements, and powerful effects. He also found some magics that where twisted from foul use over the centuries that could create darker magics using these tools of the times of biblical lore.

In time Dee would sell much of these rituals back to the Templars, giving them tools to fight evil, as he would also find other orders to bolster and resell his knowledge. In time these magic would fall in to the secret world, and be absorbed in to many other magic workers, and various orders. Some approach them as a no secular approach, while others seek guidance from angels and saints.

I have the spells divided up into two type of magical use.

The first in Invocation; a ritual magic that calls on the power of spirits [angels and saints], to gain the required spell effect being requested. Enochian glyphs are used, as well as various correspondence focuses on the being summoned for asking of the magic needed. These rituals are done at non-adapt times always, in Effect Shaping.

The second part is a faster way of casting, this is allowed to have Adapt casting if purchased. This magic is glyphs only, as well as incantations, without relying on the power of spirits, therefore you lack the pluses that can be gathered from using correspondences material, but now you only using the raw magic of the glyphs and words. Effect Shaping.

My issue is how to use the second part in combat? In the show it would I guess look like the PC has a few runes on a paper, predrawn and then when needed invokes the incantation while holding of burning the paper? Or maybe simply hold the glyphs will allow the magic when the spell is cast? Should the PC be able to cast the spell without the glyphs, and simply only need to say the incantation in Adamic tongue? I guess without prep, the PC could not use the magic instantly without the use of glyphs or words?
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:11 AM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: RPM: Enochian

Destroying a pre-inscribed paper would match the standard RPM rules for charms. RPM's design intent is to encourage research and prep, so charms are that systems main combat time spells. (I suppose the modern-day magician that wanted the scroll to be destroyed quickly could use magician's flash paper so that it wouldn't take several seconds or more to burn completely.)

If the paper isn't destroyed, then the players are going to wander around with a "spellbook" of pre-prepared effects that they have to flip through in combat, with more than a few requiring some sort of organizational scheme. This is the classic D&D "bag of holding full of scrolls" setup. Do you want the mages to be rummaging around in their bags during combat, or the table just politely ignores the practical issues in finding the right page among hundreds in a fraction of a second? (Despite all the times they themselves have tried and failed to locate that rule they're sure is there in the rulebooks during play? :))

If mages can cast just by reciting incantations, then they're more free to operate, less encumbered by prep or gear. This seems likely to produce a more off-the-cuff style of spellcasting during combat. You may want a table rule that the mages can only cast spells the players have worked out beforehand, as opposed to looking through the rules to find all the spell parameters to design the perfect spell for the situation on the spot.

So, what effect do you want? Spell-slinging action combatants or studied, considered preparation? I don't recall the show well enough to remember how the style was presented. But if that's your inspiration, you'll want to choose rules that lead to incentivizing the players to behave in a similar manner.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:33 AM   #3
Lameth

Default Re: RPM: Enochian

Thank you for your reply.

I see your point. Since half the magic is very depending on the need for the glyphs for fast casting, outside of lengthy rituals to invoke spirits, I think I will require the use of glyphs and not allow straight incantations only.

Therefore if the caster has a ritual, pre ordained and mapped out, that is using the glyphs and incantations only, and not calling on a higher being to gain that magic, then they will require the glyphs somehow. This may be pre drawn on something as a foci, or free drawn right then and there. Since pre drawn symbols can be reused to reduce casting time, destroying them is considered a "sacrifice" then maybe. Therefore if the Thaumaturg is wishing to cast "Dismiss Hell Hound", which is a enochian spell and not evocation of a higher being, the only thing he needs is the glyphs, and perhaps an added incantation, in Latin, English or even Adamic. If he has a small paper with the glyphs on them already, his casting time is reduced a little, and he only needs to concentrate, lay his hand perhaps on the glyphs, and perhaps incant for added bonuses. If he burns the paper, everything else still happens, and takes the same time, but perhaps its at a +1 for the sacrifice of the time and effort that went into using up the glyphs.

Also, burning the paper could be a good description and use of Charms, since burning represents "prayers lifting to heaven in the smoke". So that caster would instead, if he took the time to make a charm, simply throw the paper into a fire to release the magic into the air.
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote