Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-26-2020, 04:14 PM   #1
beckerc

Default sprinting that ends with All-Out Attack

How do you manage a sprinting character who wants to end a sprint with an All Out Attack on a target that is a little too far or close?

Turn 1: Attacker moves full Move of 5 hexes
Turn 2: Attacker sprints for 6 hexes (target is now 4 hexes away)

Target is now too far to All-Out Attack (only 1/2 Move is allowed) but too close to take a full Move again, thus losing a sprinting bonus.

It seems there must be a practical way for a character to declare "I run over there and at the end of the run use All-Out Attack for a Slam." without having to calculate multiples of a Move and refigure their starting hex. What's a good rule of thumb that is fair to both attacker and defender here?
beckerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 04:59 PM   #2
zoncxs

Default Re: sprinting that ends with All-Out Attack

Without a weapon:

Turn 3:
AoA (any) to move 3 yards, your target is now only 1 yard away which means you can kick them.

OR

AoA (long) to move 3 yards, your target is only 1 yard away but the maneuver grants you an extra yard of reach so you can punch them.

OR

AoA (Strong) and slam into them. Slams made as AoA allows you to move at full move. The slam damage is based on the previous turns move plus how far you moved this turn. (6+4 * HP / 100 = 10*HP /100 = HP/10 dice of damage).

OR
Move and Attack, spend 1 FP for heroic charge, that ignores the penalities and skill cap.

OR (with a weapon that has at least reach 1)

AoA (any) move your 3 yards and attack like normal since they will be within reach.

A lot of the answers required GURPS Martial Arts book. It expands a lot about combat.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:58 PM   #3
beckerc

Thanks, I was missing the full move All-Out Attack with a Slam. That's the rule I was looking for.
beckerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 01:11 AM   #4
Ultraviolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerc View Post
Thanks, I was missing the full move All-Out Attack with a Slam. That's the rule I was looking for.
And do that with a shield or a pole weapon, that is a good first-round attack in a combat.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:14 AM   #5
Maz

Just remember that with a Slam, if the target dodges. You must move 2 yards past them (if able to). Meaning they can spin around and attack you in your back (without you being able to defend).

In my games I also make you take "collision damage" if their was a wall directly behind the target, as you slam into that. And asking slams at people close to a cliff edge is jut, really, really dangerous!
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:09 PM   #6
lordabdul

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
The slam damage is based on the previous turns move plus how far you moved this turn. (6+4 * HP / 100 = 10*HP /100 = HP/10 dice of damage).
Is this how it works? I always found slam damage super lame and not very worth it, but maybe I've been reading the rules wrong all this time?

The rules state:
“Velocity” is usually just the number of yards you moved this turn – but in a head-on collision, add the distance your foe moved toward you on his last turn (that is, use relative velocity).
My understanding was that "Velocity" in this case is just 4, i.e. the number of hexes you moved this turn in order to slam into the enemy... assuming that enemy was stationary. If the enemy was moving, say, 3 hexes on their last turn, then you would do 4+3 or 4-3 depending on whether they were moving towards you or away from you.
lordabdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:27 PM   #7
Grayscale

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordabdul View Post
“Velocity” is usually just the number of yards you moved this turn – but in a head-on collision, add the distance your foe moved toward you on his last turn (that is, use relative velocity).
My understanding was that "Velocity" in this case is just 4, i.e. the number of hexes you moved this turn in order to slam into the enemy... assuming that enemy was stationary. If the enemy was moving, say, 3 hexes on their last turn, then you would do 4+3 or 4-3 depending on whether they were moving towards you or away from you.
For what is worth it, I interpret the rules the same as you.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:55 PM   #8
ravenfish

Although note that, if you moved your full Move on the previous turn, and then slam an opponent who is (say) only one yard in front of you, it seems reasonable to assume your velocity is still your full move, and not the one yard you moved in the fraction of your turn before slamming.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:08 PM   #9
smurf
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordabdul View Post
Is this how it works? I always found slam damage super lame and not very worth it, but maybe I've been reading the rules wrong all this time?

The rules state:
Apparently this 'combined' velocities theory is false. The transference of energy means they can only pass on their own velocities to each other.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:46 PM   #10
Plane

Quote:
How do you manage a sprinting character who wants to end a sprint with an All Out Attack on a target that is a little too far or close?

Target is now too far to All-Out Attack (only 1/2 Move is allowed)
Minor note: MA allows full move on an AOA but only if you attack with a slam, otherwise you're 1/2 move as usual.

Quote:
but too close to take a full Move again, thus losing a sprinting bonus.
It seems like you're looking for some kind of midway point between All-Out Attack (50% move) and Move and Attack (100% move) ?

Quote:
It seems there must be a practical way for a character to declare "I run over there and at the end of the run use All-Out Attack for a Slam." without having to calculate multiples of a Move and refigure their starting hex. What's a good rule of thumb that is fair to both attacker and defender here?
Slams aren't the problem since you keep Full Move on AOA with them as of MA98's "Slams as All Out Attacks" special relationship (Determined/Feint/Strong only, not Double or Long)

Where this could matter (I assume because you're doing a move where the damage is influenced by the speed) is in non-Slam attacks which use slam rules.

Not MA112's "Slams with Long Weapons" (they're still slams, so they get 100% Move on AOA) but rather MA107's note for Move and Attack: "If your attack delivers thrusting damage, you may substitute slam damage"

But in that case you're using the move and attack maneuver so you already have 100% move. It's moreso if you want to apply the "substitute slam" rule elsewhere, like for example to All-Out Attack, say for example if you want to do a running impale with the tip of a spear instead of a running crush (a crosscheck slam)

I think it might be fair in that case to allow AOAs which substitute slam damage for crush damage to also use 100% move since they're very slam-ish.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
all-out attack, move, sprint