Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
Agemegos

Default [Space] GURPS Handbook of the Planets

A while ago I was working on a game aid to take most of the drudgery out of generating star systems and planets using the star system and world generation sequences in GURPS Space 4e. The project has ground to a halt as a result of unresolved errata on p.117 of Space, and I no longer have any interest in completing it. However, a number of forum members have said nice things about the last beta version, and others seem to want whatever help they can get with the large task of generating a system. So I have decided to make the last beta version, beta21, available on an abandonware basis.

My GURPS Handbook of the Planets is an Excel workbook without macros. It will open and run okay in Open Office and perhaps other spreadsheet programs capable of importing Excel workbooks.

The Handbook implements the Basic and Advanced starsystem generation and planet generation sequences up to the point of calculating economic volume, provided that the user specifies TL and population. A carrying capacity is calculated if the user specifies TL, but population is not calculated. Spaceport class, government type, and installations are not calculated: I decided that those were too specific to setting parameters and GM intentions to be worth troubling with.

The Handbook does implement features of the GURPS Space system generation sequence that allow the user to choose some of the features of the system (e.g. mass, number, and age of the star[s], arrangement of gas giants, mass, orbital radius, and orbital eccentricity of the 'first' gas giant) and have others generated randomly. It also implements features that allow the user to design a planet and insert it into a randomly-generated system, and to choose the basic features of a designed planet and have the details filled in at random. However, the user cannot generate the 'early' features of a planet randomly and then step in to choose later features. And if a designed planet be placed in circumstances where the orbital mechanics dictate that it will be tide-locked, the parameters affected by tidal locking over-ride input parameters.

The Handbook is so designed that the user's chosen "personal user number" and a "system number" for the system are combined to make a seed for the generation of pseudo-random numbers. That means that if the user puts in the same settings at different times, or if two different users put in the same settings, the Handbook will re-create the exact same system.

This version is released as an incomplete beta version, with no warranty as to fitness for purpose. It is an amateurish game aid, unsuitable for commercial use, and you ought not to rely on it for any important purpose.

Known issues
  • The interface is a bit clunky, requiring the user to type accurately input that would be better selected from menus.
  • An uncorrected erratum in the rule for volcanic activity, which produces division-by-zero errors in the case of star systems with age 0, has been hacked by trapping the errors and assigning the highest level of volcanic activity.
  • I could not implement the rule for assigning orbital radii to moons without using a macro, so I arbitrarily chose a different method, in which the orbits of moons are spaced out like those of planets in a star system.
  • I have replaced the official method for assigning bodies' initial periods of rotation with one of my own devising, which avoids the misconception that small bodies tend to rotate slower than large ones even when not braked by tides.
  • There being no official corrections for the acknowledged errors in the formulas for tides and tidal braking, I have made and used unofficial corrections.
  • In the nature of an unofficial improvement, the Handbook makes tide-locked bodies tide-lock to whatever raises the largest component of their tides, rather than their sun or innermost moon.
  • Following GURPS Space, the Handbook does not reckon that tide-locked planets and planets with very long days have their habitability diminished by those features, beyond the effect of any reduction of atmospheric pressure and ocean coverage.
Easter eggs
  • The Handbook calculates the equilibrium temperature of a planet or moon at aphelion and perihelion in its orbit. This calculation does not take account of the damping effect of the thermal inertia of the atmosphere and oceans, but it does give some indication of the effects of orbital eccentricity.
  • The Handbook calculates the level of illumination at the surface of each planet, taking into account the bolometric correction (i.e. taking account of how much of the starlight is invisible IR and UV).
  • For the sun and any moons of a planet, and the sun and primary planet of any moon, the Handbook calculates their apparent diameter (how big they look in the sky), their apparent period of rotation, and the amplitude of their contribution to the equilibrium tide.

If anyone who maintains a repository of GURPS material on-line, in some place where players are likely to find it, wishes to put up a copy of this game aid on their site, that is fine with me. If you do so, would you please post an announcement in the forums, for example with a post in this thread.

Important notices
  • I do not propose to finish this game aid or to make further improvements or corrections.
  • GURPS Space is a trademark of Steve Jackson Games, and its rules and art are copyrighted by Steve Jackson Games. All rights are reserved by Steve Jackson Games. This game aid is the original creation of Brett Evill and is released for free distribution, and not for resale, under the permissions granted in the Steve Jackson Games Online Policy.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 10-08-2013 at 04:38 AM. Reason: updating main notice
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
Agemegos

Default Re: [Space] GURPS Handbook of the Planets

More known issues
  • In Open Office (but not in Excel) there is a bug that produces multiple "#NA" and "#div/0" errors when inserting a designed planet that has a major moon.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
panton41

If I had the will and the time it probably wouldn't be impossible to write an actual program that would generate a system with a single click. Couple it with a random system name generator and a way to randomly assign coordinates and it could theoretically churn them out by the... whatever number you needed on a hex or Cartesian grid.

In fact I recall one based on Space 2nd on the Macintosh Classic platform.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
If I had the will and the time it probably wouldn't be impossible to write an actual program that would generate a system with a single click.
Of course it wouldn't be impossible. Meanwhile, you can use this. Or not, if you prefer.

Quote:
Couple it with a random system name generator and a way to randomly assign coordinates and it could theoretically churn them out by the... whatever number you needed on a hex or Cartesian grid.
You will probably want to put the output into an SQL database, or something like that.

What I do with this beast is to add a sheet into which I put a data table that feeds ten thousand consecutive numbers into the "system number" or "universe number", and then treats selected cells (spectral class, maximum habitability, gravity of the world with highest habitability, number of worlds with habitability 4+) as output. On my Mac this will update in about twenty minutes (or a list of only a thousand systems in two minutes). Then I can pick anything interesting out of the list and re-generate it. Or attach colour-coded system numbers to points on maps or names in lists. If necessary, I can fine-tune the search by using the control panel.

Another of my tricks is to attach a sheet including data from a star catalogue (I use HYG for this purpose). Then a couple of LOOKUP statements will import data from the catalogue into the control panel, and then a data table will produce a list of nearby stars with chosen characteristics such as the habitability of their most-habitable planet or moon. This list can be copied and sorted to produce a list of, say, habitable planets in a chosen version of the universe, and the details of the systems can be re-created knowing the universe number and system number.

Last edited by Agemegos; 10-29-2010 at 02:41 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:29 PM   #5
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Of course it wouldn't be impossible. Meanwhile, you can use this. Or not, if you prefer.
I tend to use "plot-generated" systems, i.e. whatever the plot demands, but mostly due to a lack of time to generate large numbers of systems, investigate them for story-friendly features, then build a story around them. Not that I don't have a use for something like this and actually I can see how it would be useful in an upcoming game I'm planning.

Quote:
You will probably want to put the output into an SQL database, or something like that.

What I do with this beast is to add a sheet into which I put a data table that feeds ten thousand consecutive numbers into the "system number" or "universe number", and then treats selected cells (spectral class, maximum habitability, gravity of the world with highest habitability, number of worlds with habitability 4+) as output. On my Mac this will update in about twenty minutes (or a list of only a thousand . Then I can pick anything interesting out of the list and re-generate it. Or attach colour-coded system numbers to points on maps or names in lists. If necessary, I can fine-tune the search by using the control panel.

Another of my tricks is to attach a sheet including data from a star catalogue (I use HYG for this purpose). Then a couple of LOOKUP statements will import data from the catalogue into the control panel, and then a data table will produce a list of nearby stars with chosen characteristics such as the habitability of their most-habitable planet or moon. This list can be copied and sorted to produce a list of, say, habitable planets in a chosen version of the universe, and the details of the systems can be re-created knowing the universe number and system number.
All of that is well beyond what I'm capable of doing right now. I only know enough programming to know what I'm reading when I see source code; I would rather leave the heavy lifting of coding to the CS majors.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Don't no one be dissing the Bret-meister. I for one appreciate the in depth attention to accuracy and sheer hard work he put in for us ungrateful slobs.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:31 PM   #7
Agemegos

I'm sure there are 19,000 registered users on the forums who do not wish to use this aid. You don't all have to post to tell me so.

I'm equally sure that the members list includes several hundred better programmers than me who could produce a better product if they had the time and were willing to spend it. That's fine. I'll say it myself to save you all the trouble.

I am also perfectly aware that the approach I took in designing this thing was eccentric to the edge of madness, and makes it very difficult to maintain and modify, besides being downright weird. There you are. Point conceded. No need to flog a dead horse.

So if you find it useless, awkward, clumsy, a folly to have begun and madness to have carried through, just ignore the damned thing, okay? There's no need to pee in the punchbowl.

I'm out of here.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:36 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I've used the heck out of it personally.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:31 AM   #9
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
The Handbook does implement features of the GURPS Space system generation sequence that allow the user to choose some of the features of the system (e.g. mass, number, and age of the star[s], arrangement of gas giants, mass, orbital radius, and orbital eccentricity of the 'first' gas giant) and have others generated randomly. It also implements features that allow the user to design a planet and insert it into a randomly-generated system . . . .
In case that was not clear enough:

The star system generation sequence in GURPS Space is no mere random generator. It has a monstrously clever feature that allows you to generate a world to your liking by choosing results in the World Design Sequence in chapter 4 (basic world building) and then it inserts your planet into its correct place in a star system using the Star System Generation Sequence in chapter 5 (advanced world building).

This feature is implemented in my GURPS Handbook of the Planets.

It does take rather more than one click to tell the workbook what you want, but it will guide you through the ranges of possibility for designing a planet and its moons, and then it will insert the planet you have designed into a system orbiting either a random star or a star with any characteristics you specify.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 10-29-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #10
zorg
Experimental Subject

Thank you for sharing this. I truly appreciate your effort, and you making the result available.

Downloaded.

(Do you, by any chance, have a game aid which will allow me to generate one or two additional players?)

Tags
planets, space, star system generator, system generation, world generation