Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-31-2020, 10:38 AM   #11
Anders

Default Re: Gurps data all gone! OH *****!!

OneDrive has saved me more than once.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:05 AM   #12
tbone

Default Re: How big is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I'm afraid I can't tell you that; the Mac OS doesn't seem to offer the option of computing total size for folders.
That doesn't sound right; my mac OS happily reports sizes for a single folder full of files, or a folder containing more folders of stuff, or selections of multiple folders, or whatever. I can see at a glance that my big folder of gaming stuff is tens of GBs, though I'm not sure it's well organized enough to call it all properly gaming-related. So, peeking at some more meaningful totals:

My GURPS folder contains about 900MB of 4E PDF titles. Surprisingly small for so many books, but even some of the big PDFs have pretty small file sizes.

My folder of Pyramid issues is nearly as big, despite being an incomplete collection.

DFRPG titles run a little hefty compared to GURPS books. My folder for the core stuff has 18 titles (including files of the maps and Cardboard Heroes; not including Gaming Ballistic titles), and runs over 300MB.

(I remain amazed that, thanks to cloud storage, there's no groaning bookshelf; all the above is ever-ready on computer, tablet, and phone. What sorcery is this??)

Hey, here's a bonus bit of nerdy: How I've got that GURPS stuff organized on the drive. Mostly by series, with some complications: the folder for Fantasy contains its own Banestorm folder, the folder for Tech books has its own folders for the appropriate flavors of books, and the folders for Backgrounds and Basic each contain a jumble of things.
  • Cardboard Heroes
  • DFRPG
  • GURPS 3E
  • GURPS 4E - Action
  • GURPS 4E - After the End
  • GURPS 4E - Backgrounds
  • GURPS 4E - Basic
  • GURPS 4E - Disasters
  • GURPS 4E - Dungeon Fantasy
  • GURPS 4E - Encounters
  • GURPS 4E - Fantasy
  • GURPS 4E - Horror
  • GURPS 4E - Hot Spots
  • GURPS 4E - Locations
  • GURPS 4E - Magic
  • GURPS 4E - Martial Arts
  • GURPS 4E - Monster Hunters
  • GURPS 4E - Monsters
  • GURPS 4E - Organizations
  • GURPS 4E - Power-Ups
  • GURPS 4E - Powers
  • GURPS 4E - Social Engineering
  • GURPS 4E - Space
  • GURPS 4E - Steampunk
  • GURPS 4E - Tech books
  • GURPS 4E - Traveller
  • GURPS 4E - Vehicles
  • GURPS unofficial
  • Pyramid

Maybe someone else has a more interesting organization system? (Including the ever-popular "one big folder with everything" . . .)

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)

Last edited by tbone; 10-31-2020 at 11:07 AM. Reason: typos
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 11:25 AM   #13
Tinman

Sorry to hear of your loss.
I have a lot of data & I keep backups of a lot on google drive.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 11:34 AM   #14
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessen View Post
So how much Gurps data have you got on your drives?
I recently lost my old desktop (it was a teenager, lasted longer than most) because despite stretching out it's lifespan, one of the cooling fans ceased working (not sure which) possibly my fault because I was poking around inside there disconnecting my wifi card to try and get a plugin dongle to be recognized. It was probably entirely unnecessary as the issue was not that the old one was still plugged in but that I had not installed the drivers for the new one.

It was frustrating because I actually got the drivers (they came w/ the device but only windows .exe so I had to find a way to work them for Linux) working but later that day is when the fan failed, and it's hard to think that was a pure coincidence.

I didn't lose much in terms of megs/gigs but I had lots of notepadish (leadpad) documents with personal notes/ideas which now I can't access. Really regret not backing them up on a USB/cloud/external.

If I can't replace the fan hopefully some day I'll figure out a way to at least rip out the hard drive inside and connect to it to copy the data to something a bit more accessible. For now it's just sitting on the shelf with another one that I couldn't get working (fan seems fine but mysteriously locks up when I boot up, whether in Windows 10 or Ubuntu or Lubuntu, doesn't seem to matter) and I'm starting fresh on a new one.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 01:56 PM   #15
Anthony

Quote:
I'm afraid I can't tell you that; the Mac OS doesn't seem to offer the option of computing total size for folders.
I'm sure if you went to an OS prompt the tools still exist, but it might not be very visible in the GUI. My actual stored GURPS collection is only 240MB.

Last edited by Anthony; 10-31-2020 at 02:00 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:23 PM   #16
Rupert

I've got 1.9GB of GURPS 4e, DFRPG, and Pyramid #3. Rather less 3e.

Many, many GB of other games - many of them are old games that have become available as scans, and even a not very long B&W game turns into a large PDF when it's a collection of scanned images + OCR text. Traveller in its various incarnations is probably the largest single contributor.

Collected art that I find inspirational or intended to use as a character portrait, etc. comes to a bit over 3GB (somewhat less than I expect, actually), but there's more of that scattered through my 'gaming notes' folders, which are incredibly disorganised and have all sorts of stuff I've downloaded or written myself in all kinds of old places.

I have this bad tendency to copy stuff from old computer on to new in a single lump to 'sort out later', and of course 'later' never happens. The other day I stumbled on some D&D3.0 errata that I'd downloaded when it was current and hadn't seen since, so it was at least 16 years old.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:56 PM   #17
Agemegos

Quote:
I'm afraid I can't tell you that; the Mac OS doesn't seem to offer the option of computing total size for folders. I have two folders on Documents, one for game writing and one for campaigns, and one folder on Downloads, for game books I've acquired; I also have game books in the Books app.
Select the folder and type command-i

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 04:53 PM   #18
clu2415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
If I can't replace the fan hopefully some day I'll figure out a way to at least rip out the hard drive inside and connect to it to copy the data to something a bit more accessible. For now it's just sitting on the shelf with another one that I couldn't get working (fan seems fine but mysteriously locks up when I boot up, whether in Windows 10 or Ubuntu or Lubuntu, doesn't seem to matter) and I'm starting fresh on a new one.
Look up what the hard drove’s connections are and search for a hard drive dock or docking station.
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:18 PM   #19
whswhs

Thanks, Agemegos! 5.00 GB in downloads, .28 GB in game writing, and .45 GB in campaign notes and documents.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:24 PM   #20
DreadDomain

On my tablet, 3.45GB of GURPS, 36GB of RPG.
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote