Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-13-2009, 06:47 AM   #41
The Benj

Default Re: "Save or Die" effects in GURPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
How so? The Cosmic I was referring to was 'Irresistable Attack' on Basic page 103. Yeah, you can use active defenses - if they're applicable. Which is fine - though another Cosmic that makes Active Defenses impossible might be called for in some situations.
The point is this:
Irresistable Attack DOES NOT remove any Resistance Roll, it just means that no effects like Resistance count for it, it becomes a naked attribute roll.

That is why you fail.

Forever, apparently.

Where it up to me, I'd let you re-sit the exam next semester, but there you have it.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:28 AM   #42
Phoenix_Dragon

You could, however, take some 18 levels of the affliction, ensuring that nobody with a modified HT of 20 or less can survive it. But through an enhancement like Cosmic, no.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #43
cmdicely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
Instead of trying to support the side that wants instant death effects, we have people saying they really aren't instant death. Funny, huh?
I see the following arguments on this thread more than people arguing against "instant death":
  • GURPS has an existing clear mechanism (and point cost, etc.) for "save-or-die" style instant death attacks, and
  • Many fictional and realistic instant death attacks held out as examples of the need for using "save-or-die" attacks can be modelled well in GURPS by standard damage attacks that do enough damage to kill the usual targets instantly rather than "save-or-die" attacks.
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, rules