Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-03-2017, 05:23 PM   #1
Scolop

Default [RPM] Conditional Rituals

This will sound like a basic question, but I couldn't find a clear answer in the book nor a previous thread about it. Sorry if this was asked before.

Conditional Rituals require the addition of a Lesser Control Magic effect. This effect doesn't change the ritual for the purposes of Specific Definition, but for all other purposes it's a part of the spell (p. 25).

Does this mean that a caster with Path of Energy 14 and Path of Magic 13, when making a conditional ritual, uses his Path of Magic skill, since it's lower?

If this was the case, I'd think the description of Path of Magic (p. 10) would make it very clear that it's an important skill for charms and other conditional rituals.
Scolop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:56 PM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: [RPM] Conditional Rituals

Yeah, Path of Magic is sort of the hidden "You have to have this" Path in RPM, as it's necessary for recharging your Mana Reserve as well as for, as you note, Conditional Rituals and Charms, which are arguably the primary ways most RPM casters ply their craft. Personally, I sort of favor getting rid of Path of Magic and using Thaumatology in place of it.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:16 AM   #3
Scolop

Default Re: [RPM] Conditional Rituals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Yeah, Path of Magic is sort of the hidden "You have to have this" Path in RPM, as it's necessary for recharging your Mana Reserve as well as for, as you note, Conditional Rituals and Charms, which are arguably the primary ways most RPM casters ply their craft. Personally, I sort of favor getting rid of Path of Magic and using Thaumatology in place of it.
It sure is the most important path, then. Thanks, Varyon!
Scolop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conditional ritual, path of magic, rpm