Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 12-01-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
shawnhcorey

Default [OOC] The Adventures of Captain Proton

Cancelled due to lack of interest.

When last we left Captain Proton, he had just defeated Doctor Chaotica, Ruler of the Cosmos, and his Army of Evil. With the help of Beings from the Fifth Dimension that were persuaded by the President of Earth to join the fight, and with the evil but beautiful Queen Arachnia of the Spider People, Captain Proton has destroyed the Fortress of Doom and killed Doctor Chaotica. Sadly, the kindly and very beautiful Constance Goodheart also died in the struggle. Having captured Lonzak, Doctor Chaotica's evil minion, and reprogrammed Satan's Robot so it is now on the side of Good, Captain Proton and his faithful sidekick, Buster Kincaid, are returning the President of Earth to Earth, accompanied the Queen Arachnia.

--+++---

Do you like B movies? Cheesy dialogue? Retro-futurism? Then welcome to The Adventures of Captain Proton.

There are openings for the following 7 characters:

* Captain Proton, Spaceman First Class, Protector of Earth, Scourge of Intergalactic Evil

* The President of Earth

* Queen Arachnia, the evil but beautiful Queen of the Spider People

* Satan's Robot, the Most Evil Force in the Galaxy (reprogrammed for Good)

* Lonzak, minion of Doctor Chaotica (prisoner)

* Malicia, Twin Mistresses of Evil

* Constance Goodheart (deceased), the kindly and very beautiful secretary of Captain Proton

These characters are taken.

* Buster Kincaid, faithful sidekick of Captain Proton, played by ladyarcana55.

* Doctor Chaotica (deceased), Ruler of the Cosmos, played by Rocket Man.

* Demonica, Twin Mistresses of Evil, played by Neoseeker.

The PCs will be divided into three groups. The first group, Captain Proton, Buster Kincaid, the President of Earth, Queen Arachnia, Satan's Robot, and Lonzak, will start the adventure. The second group, Demonica and Malicia, will have to wait for their introduction. The last group, Constance Goodheart and Doctor Chaotica, will have to wait until they come back from the dead. Please indicate which character you want to play in decreasing order of preference. Unfortunately, there is no way to guarantee that you'll get a character of your preference. Please be prepared to play any character.

This is not the Star Trek universe. Any knowledge of Star Trek will be of limited use.

The style of play is a 1930's B movie and players are expected to get into the spirit of the game. The game is very PG. That means absolutely no foul language and the sexiest action is kissing, fully on the lips.

---+++---

This game will be run as a freeform RPG. Characters in this type of game do not have statistics. They do not advance in level or abilities. You will only be playing for accolades from your peers and the applause of your fans.

Because of the holiday season, I am not running this to a schedule although I hope everyone will be able to write a posting a least once a week (including myself).

Last edited by shawnhcorey; 01-10-2010 at 11:37 AM.
shawnhcorey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
tHEhERETIC

Default Re: [OOC] The Adventures of Captain Proton

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhcorey View Post
When last we left Captain Proton, he had just defeated Doctor Chaotica, Ruler of the Cosmos, and his Army of Evil. With the help of Beings from the Fifth Dimension that were persuaded by the President of Earth to join the fight, and with the evil but beautiful Queen Arachnia of the Spider People, Captain Proton has destroyed the Fortress of Doom and killed Doctor Chaotica. Sadly, the kindly and very beautiful Constance Goodheart also died in the struggle. Having captured Lonzak, Doctor Chaotica's evil minion, and reprogrammed Satan's Robot so it is now on the side of Good, Captain Proton and his faithful sidekick, Buster Kincaid, are returning the President of Earth to Earth, accompanied the Queen Arachnia.

--+++---

Do you like B movies? Cheesy dialogue? Retro-futurism? Then welcome to The Adventures of Captain Proton.
If you don't mind 30's B-movies by way of modern procedurals and disaster flicks, I'd like to play the President of the Earth as a woman in her mid- to late-20's who is yet somehow fully qualified to be President and has an advanced degree in whatever subject serves your plot best.

I mean, how many schlocky modern monster movies have you seen where some female hottie is an astronaut, a physicist, a cryptozoologist...she would have had to start college before her teens!

Last edited by tHEhERETIC; 12-01-2009 at 10:52 PM. Reason: typing without glasses
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
shawnhcorey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
If you don't mind 30's B-movies by way of modern procedurals and disaster flicks, I'd like to play the President of the Earth as a woman in her mid- to late-20's who is yet somehow fully qualified to be President and has an advanced degree in whatever subject serves your plot best.

I mean, how many schlocky modern monster movies have you seen where some female hottie is an astronaut, a physicist, a cryptozoologist...she would have had to start college before her teens!
I had to think about this a lot.

I choose to start the first adventure just after the Bride of Chaotica, since it was the one time when I could get all the characters together on Captain Proton's rocketship. Changing the President of Earth to a woman would introduces a number of discontinuities. First, it deviates from canon. Second, this is based on an American B movie; they would not be comfortable with the concept of a woman President in the 1930s. Third, they have a law that their President must be at least 35.

I would have to say no unless you invoke the Rule of Cool. Is there a trait or ability could you give her to make her cool? For example, Queen Arachnia is a Queen...of Spider People...with irresistible pheromones which allow her to control any male! Just being outstanding good, as you would expect any President of Earth to be, is not good enough to be Cool. You have to go beyond outstanding good to be good enough to be Cool.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #4
ladyarcana55

Any objections if I play Buster, his sidekick?
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
shawnhcorey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarcana55 View Post
Any objections if I play Buster, his sidekick?
None at all. Welcome to the Adventure.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
ladyarcana55

LOL

I should warn you, I am not very knowledgeable about 1930 style movies, but I am certainly willing to learn. But I do play a mean sidekick, or so I've been told.

If nothing else I can do comic relief...
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhcorey View Post
I had to think about this a lot.

I choose to start the first adventure just after the Bride of Chaotica, since it was the one time when I could get all the characters together on Captain Proton's rocketship. Changing the President of Earth to a woman would introduces a number of discontinuities. First, it deviates from canon. Second, this is based on an American B movie; they would not be comfortable with the concept of a woman President in the 1930s. Third, they have a law that their President must be at least 35.

I would have to say no unless you invoke the Rule of Cool. Is there a trait or ability could you give her to make her cool? For example, Queen Arachnia is a Queen...of Spider People...with irresistible pheromones which allow her to control any male! Just being outstanding good, as you would expect any President of Earth to be, is not good enough to be Cool. You have to go beyond outstanding good to be good enough to be Cool.
Figuring out how to be cool enough here. I don't know the ST continuity at all so I've no idea about the mental gymnastics involved in making that fit. Read the wiki though--maybe The Doctor wants to try on a new role?

I'm thinking she was a Cabinet Secretary and those ahead of her were disabled somehow...will think on it though. Some Cool talent...

If this is too far out there even with a cool talent, I'll bow out, no hard feelings.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:35 AM   #8
JCD

I am willing to play any character that comes along.

As it happens, I HAVE seen '30's B Serial. Buck Rogers and the Mind Control Helmets. Flash Gordon Saving the Clay People, The Bird People, The Beast Men. The cool cloaks which act like parachutes. The Whzzt! Pop! Sparkler Rocket Ships. And the brass knuckle pistols that you have to shoot by holding your hand near your ear.

Yup! Been there. Never done the Cheesy Dialouge much. I can give that a shot though.

How often are you posting? Can you maintain a game?

Cheers.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:00 AM   #9
shawnhcorey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
The only character taken so far is Buster Kincard.

Quote:
I plan to do at least one turn a week but as I said before, this may slow down during the holiday season.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:46 PM   #10
Captain-Captain

Quote:

As it happens, I HAVE seen '30's B Serial. Buck Rogers and the Mind Control Helmets. Flash Gordon Saving the Clay People, The Bird People, The Beast Men. The cool cloaks which act like parachutes. The Whzzt! Pop! Sparkler Rocket Ships. And the brass knuckle pistols that you have to shoot by holding your hand near your ear.

Yup! Been there. Never done the Cheesy Dialouge much. I can give that a shot though.

Cheers.
Don't forget those wonderous Jet pack on a leather jacket flyboys from Republic pictures. Or the much better than the title sounded 50s TV show Rocky Jones: Space Ranger.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freeform