Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-23-2018, 01:14 PM   #1
Nils_Lindeberg

Default Facing

The rules seem to say that you can always change your facing at the end of your movement turn. We always interpreted this as at the end of all movement. I other words you can't just run around behind someone that already moved and stab them in the back because they will only turn to face you.

In practice, this means one extra step. Team A moves, Team B moves (and adjust facing at the same time), Team A can adjust facing if they want to, usually not needed since people don't dance around as much.

This removes a lot of shenanigans and allows for higher MA without breaking the system. And it also removes the need of having to count hexes in a one on one situation to "time it right" when closing. And you shouldn't have to worry about getting stabbed in the back in a one on one fight because your opponent literally runs circles around you.

I don't know if everyone does it this way already, or not?

Not really serious...
With a rule like this, MA doesn't have to be capped and a static secondary attribute. It could be equal to adjDX or even (ST+DX)/2 rounded down to the closest even number. Even numbered MA makes it easier to halve in a fight. After all, MA isn't exactly running speed, more like the ability to navigate a combat more or less safely.
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:02 PM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Facing

I and the people I played with did not do it that way. So, you have to take into account where your opponents might move, if you move first. As long as people know that and move appropriately, it's not generally an issue. The main exception is when there is more open space than allies, AND the enemy has very high MA, especially if you don't expect it. Fliers and mounted opponents with high MA who win initiative and move second may end up being hard to avoid letting to your side/rear unless you stand back-to-back or something.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:19 PM   #3
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils_Lindeberg View Post
... you shouldn't have to worry about getting stabbed in the back in a one on one fight because your opponent literally runs circles around you.

I don't know if everyone does it this way already, or not?
That's how we always played. After everyone moves you can choose your facing. The thought being that pivoting is so much faster than moving that it made sense to do it this way when it matters.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:33 PM   #4
Skarg

Who gets to move last in cases where people might want to react to each others' end-of-movement facing changes?
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:58 PM   #5
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

That's not the way I play it. If you go first, you need to ancipate your foe's likely actions. If engagement is being used properly, it will be difficult for anyone to run behind you unless you have invited it.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:16 PM   #6
BrotherBill

I changed to playing that way after watching an opponent counting out multiple different hex paths with his finger to find a path around figures trying to get to the side or rear of them one too many times. Real life movement is continuous with each combatant able to adjust on the fly, this interpretation reflects that without encumbering the rules.
BrotherBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:27 PM   #7
Wayne

If I were to play something like this I’d allow a 60° turn if adjDX is above 10 and 120° turn if adjDX is above 14.
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:48 PM   #8
Rick_Smith

Default Re: Facing - Everyone turns at the end of movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils_Lindeberg View Post
The rules seem to say that you can always change your facing at the end of your movement turn. We always interpreted this as at the end of all movement. ...
I like this.

In rare cases you can have, "I want to see how he faces before I pick my facing," but resolve that by saying those who moved first have to pick first.

This prevents the elves with 14 MA running wide around the battle to get a side hex. It is too easy to turn for that tactic to be anywhere near realistic.

Nice idea Nils. Warm regards, Rick.

Last edited by Rick_Smith; 07-23-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:51 PM   #9
Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
That's not the way I play it. If you go first, you need to ancipate your foe's likely actions. If engagement is being used properly, it will be difficult for anyone to run behind you unless you have invited it.
Yeah! This is part of the tactical aspect that makes TFT interesting. The front hex engagement rule and the way initiative works means you have to consider how you close on someone, and sometimes engaging them if they truly can outrun you even without being able to attack that turn has merit.

My suggestion is play by the rules if you want to enjoy TFT combat at a higher level. Otherwise, it turns into other loosy goosy role playing combat where you don't even need a map, just tell the GM who you want to hit and roll some d100 dice for results....snoooooze. ;)
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:16 AM   #10
David Bofinger

I also prefer Nils' method, because the tricks enabled by the canonical method feel gamey and unrealistic.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote