Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 05-24-2016, 08:00 PM   #1
orcbgone

Default Items received outside of your own turn.

I think I posted this originally in the wrong section, is this the right one?

In the rules it says you can use items as soon as you receive them, does this mean I play an armor or hand slot item if it is given to me during a combat? And are there limitations as to when this applies? As in only given or received as rewards from combat, or do trades, bribes, charity, effects of curses/bad stuff etc. count?
orcbgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:23 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Items received outside of your own turn.

You may not play items during combat, no matter how you receive them, unless there is a card that says otherwise. Cards that you receive outside of combat may be played immediately.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:29 PM   #3
MunchkinMan

The rules actually say the following:

Quote:
Any Treasure card may be played to the table as soon as you get it, or at any time on your own turn except during combat (unless the rules below or the card itself says otherwise).
Most of the exceptions alluded to in further rules would be those in the "One-Shot" Treasures and Special Treasures sections.

I also want to make clear: Items received during a trade must already have been in play and must stay in play, they do not go into your hand, and since the rules explicitly say that a player in combat can't trade, there's no issue there.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 05-25-2016 at 08:23 AM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:17 AM   #4
orcbgone

To the latter part of MunchkinMan's post, that I already knew and remembered, :)

But my apologies for getting the combat rules mixed up, I knew I should have re-read the sheet before posting, :/

Thanks for clearing that up guys!
orcbgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:13 PM   #5
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
The rules actually say the following:
Quote:
Any Treasure card may be played to the table as soon as you get it, or at any time on your own turn except during combat (unless the rules below or the card itself says otherwise).
This is actually where some of my earlier confusion came from in another post recently. What version of the rules actually state it this way? I've looked at Munchkin Deluxe and Legends so far and looking under the "Treasures" section I don't see anything about combat where that would be a direct quote from the rules. I either can't read, or there's some paraphrasing going on based on implied understanding (e.g. combining statements under "Combat" and "Treasures") that I'm missing. :-(
Old 05-26-2016, 08:22 AM   #6
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
This is actually where some of my earlier confusion came from in another post recently. What version of the rules actually state it this way? I've looked at Munchkin Deluxe and Legends so far and looking under the "Treasures" section I don't see anything about combat where that would be a direct quote from the rules. I either can't read, or there's some paraphrasing going on based on implied understanding (e.g. combining statements under "Combat" and "Treasures") that I'm missing. :-(
I copied and pasted from the Munchkin rules PDF, v1.71 (October, 2014), but the same text is in Munchkin Deluxe rules, v1.7 (June, 2014). In both cases, they're in a big callout box on page 2 which is entitled, "When You May Take Actions." The most recent rules PDFs can (almost) always be found at http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/rules.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:51 AM   #7
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
I copied and pasted from the Munchkin rules PDF, v1.71 (October, 2014), but the same text is in Munchkin Deluxe rules, v1.7 (June, 2014). In both cases, they're in a big callout box on page 2 which is entitled, "When You May Take Actions." The most recent rules PDFs can (almost) always be found at http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/rules.
The rules I was looking at are v1.6 Deluxe (November 2012), which does not have that wording. A very important lesson to learn here: Read the latest rules online before putting your foot in your mouth. :-)

Thanks!