Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-19-2013, 02:19 AM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [From Real Life] We're gonna have to adjust Bow ROFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
1-foot sized flying saucers don't seem like a vague target zone.
I was thinking of the other video where the archer is just shooting at the green sheet.
Quote:
The three-arrow shot apparently is done without any special quiver (because arrows are held in hand), and I'm not sure what a 'trick equipment' bow would be - it's just shot at less than full ST/draw. (If there's some cool type of bow that helps one draw to its minST faster than usual, then cinematic bowyers will want that on top of their mad skillz and HA.)
It's a very understrength bow, probably 15lbs or something (like a LARPers bow). With LARP boffers you can attack more than GURPS Rapid Strikes would allow for non-Weapon Masters. This doesn't mean that every LARPer is secretly a Weapons Master!

He's also almost certainly rehearsed this and probably took more than one take.

Furthermore he gets:
  • +1 for “no risk to self”
  • +1 for “no risk to others”
  • +1 for “no political or military stake in the outcome.”
  • +4 for a perfectly lit indoor range.
  • +3 for target range and speed known precisely

Last edited by sir_pudding; 11-19-2013 at 02:06 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:30 AM   #12
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I was thinking of the other video where the archer is just shooting at the green sheet. It's a very understrength bow, probably 5lbs or something (like a LARPers bow). With LARP boffers you can attack more than GURPS Rapid Strikes would allow for non-Weapon Masters. This doesn't mean that every LARPer is secretly a Weapons Master!
If a MinST 5 bow can be shot by a ST10 person 2-3 times per second without incurring Rapid Strike penalties (or only incurring small ones), this seems to be relevant for, say, ST30 people shooting ST25/20/15 bows. Kinda like the effects of ST on ‡- and †-wielding.

Quote:
He's also almost certainly rehearsed this and probably took more than one take.

Furthermore he gets:
  • +1 for “no risk to self”
  • +1 for “no risk to others”
  • +1 for “no political or military stake in the outcome.”
  • +4 for a perfectly lit indoor range.
  • +3 for target range and speed known precisely
Well, with that I agree.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:32 AM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
If a MinST 5 bow can be shot by a ST10 person 2-3 times per second without incurring Rapid Strike penalties (or only incurring small ones), this seems to be relevant for, say, ST30 people shooting ST25/20/15 bows. Kinda like the effects of ST on ‡- and †-wielding..
No, I'm saying that this bow was specifically chosen for this trick. It gives an equipment bonus (probably a +2 or so would be sufficient) to Bow Art for this specific trick shot only.

EDIT: Also where are you getting 2-3 times a second? I count about 1 second per shot, just as Quick Shooting Bows allows.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:56 AM   #14
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
No, I'm saying that this bow was specifically chosen for this trick. It gives an equipment bonus (probably a +2 or so would be sufficient) to Bow Art for this specific trick shot only.

EDIT: Also where are you getting 2-3 times a second? I count about 1 second per shot, just as Quick Shooting Bows allows.
There was a claim of 3 shots in 1½ seconds, which may add up to 2-3 shots per second depending on what Readyings are done before the first shot and what we count as a shot. (Of course it may be a false number.)
Old 11-19-2013, 04:14 AM   #15
gilbertocarlos

3 shots in 1.5 seconds seems like RoF2 at best, but RoF 1.5 seems more likely(since he starts with an arrow ready, but doesn't end with one).

I also doubt even ST/2 to do the math, I doubt it'll do more than 1d-3 damage, even when shot by a strong bowman.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:20 AM   #16
DanHoward

Should have waited till the end of the month. That would be the anniversary of the first thread in which all this was covered.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:33 AM   #17
Refplace

Quote:
If a MinST 5 bow can be shot by a ST10 person 2-3 times per second without incurring Rapid Strike penalties (or only incurring small ones), this seems to be relevant for, say, ST30 people shooting ST25/20/15 bows. Kinda like the effects of ST on ‡- and †-wielding.
I would call it a technique to hold multiple arrows in the same hand in such a way that he can quickly ready them.
Skipping the Fast Draw Roll that way.
Shooting the bow at 1/2 ST (not pulling it back all the way) nor bothering to anchor it lets him trade points for Rapid Strike in return for lost accuracy.
I disagree on the 5 pound thing, looks more like the 18 pound recurve I had as a young kid (say 10).
The 10 arrows before hitting the ground thing is plausable using a high arc as if you were shooting at extreme range.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:13 AM   #18
LoneWolf23k

Sheesh, sorry, didn't know this had been posted so many times before. I just found it yesterday.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #19
Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
Sheesh, sorry, didn't know this had been posted so many times before. I just found it yesterday.
I still think the video is impressive. The guy shoots through mail, and even if it's not properly padded, I don't think you would want that arrow in you.
It's easy to deride someone else's skill, but this guy has clearly learned to do something really cool, and to say it's unrelated to Bow skill is disingenuous at best. Of course it's a demonstration and not a battle, and so the guy has all kinds of situational bonuses. But there's no reason a real warrior couldn't use the same technique, holding multiple arrows in hand, drawing and firing rapidly.
I think it's actually a nice demonstration of GURPS rules at work. You can fire a bow at RoF 1 if you take some penalties, which this guy is overcoming with a combination of techniques and situational bonuses.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:21 AM   #20
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
You should feel shame for not previously versing yourself on every thread for the past 5 years. How dare you not show proper dedication to the GURPS-holiness by treating all this like some kind of game.

JK: Seriously, you just hit a nerve is all. As long as your next thread isn't about how plate armor is ponderously heavy and requires a winch to lift you into the saddle... you should be good.

Tags
bow art