Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #101
Prince Charon

Default Re: [From Real Life] We're gonna have to adjust Bow ROFs

Well, if we had some money, we could hire a dozen archers to try that double shot as a group, against a dozen mannequins (remember, you're not trying to hit the individual, you're trying to hit the group).

Since I doubt anyone reading this both has the money to do that, and cares enough to spend it on this, the only way to test it that's likely to happen is to try to get some SCAdians to try it. Anyone reading this in the SCA?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 12-15-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:20 AM   #102
gruundehn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
What evidence (other than "some guy said so") do you have that it is even a thing at all?
As the guy "who said so" I will point out that I mentioned that it was in one of my 4000+ books, none of which are catalogued and none of which are stored in any order. The book is a reference to the 100 Years Wars. I am looking for it so I can give a proper reference. However, I haven't found it yet and since I cannot remember what page the comment was made on, once I find the book I will have to skim it (it is a few hundred pages) and find the comment.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #103
nonex
Banned

Time to make unsubstantiated allegations and try to get away with it!
nonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #104
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonex View Post
Time to make unsubstantiated allegations and try to get away with it!
To be fair, I remember hearing about it as well, before I found this forum, but it was, I think, a TV documentary, so make of that what you will.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:33 AM   #105
gruundehn

OK, I don't have a page reference yet but the book is The Hundred Years War Volume I: The Battles by Jonathan Sumption. I really hadn't planned on reading it again until I had bought the remaining two volumes, besides I am in the middle of something else right now. But the comment about firing one shot at an angle and then a second level was in reference to the Battle of Crecy IIRC and it was just made. Sort of like one might just make a comment about New York City being north of Washington DC. It was a comment that was made while describing the tactics of the battle. I think that it was made while describing the slowness of the French advance due to the battlefield conditions.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:14 AM   #106
DanHoward

Sumption's books are pretty well referenced. What is his cite for this? If there is no cite then it needs to be dismissed.

Last edited by DanHoward; 12-16-2013 at 03:19 AM.
DanHoward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:20 AM   #107
gruundehn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
Sumption's books are pretty well referenced. What is his cite for this? If there is no cite then it needs to be dismissed.
As I said, I don't have the page reference. I remember that it was that book and I have yet to find it again. As I also mentioned, I am in the middle of something else - so I don't have the time to spend digging through my library and then this book at the moment, I am not going to abandon or even set aside my studies right now. I do not remember that that specific comment had a footnote citing origin, I just remember that the comment was made. For some reason it is one of those things that just sticks in the mind.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:27 AM   #108
gilbertocarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruundehn View Post
As I said, I don't have the page reference. I remember that it was that book and I have yet to find it again. As I also mentioned, I am in the middle of something else - so I don't have the time to spend digging through my library and then this book at the moment, I am not going to abandon or even set aside my studies right now. I do not remember that that specific comment had a footnote citing origin, I just remember that the comment was made. For some reason it is one of those things that just sticks in the mind.
Look, I don't have time to argue on the internet, so, what do I do? I go argue on the internet.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #109
Agent

I don't even have time to look up what this is even referring to in this thread. How 'bout them apples?

(PS: I actually do.)
Old 12-18-2013, 03:28 AM   #110
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
Look, I don't have time to argue on the internet, so, what do I do? I go argue on the internet.
I know that if I said the truth of having all the time in the world... to argue on the net, my glasses would fall off and shatter despite being rugged plastic.
You won't get me that easily, Mr. Serling.

Tags
bow art