Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-27-2019, 09:51 AM   #1
Barmace

Default The Fantasy Trip Legacy Edition expansions

Hey Steve,
I have to say that I LOVE this system
What I would like to know, do you plan on bringing other types of scenarios to the system? Like horror, mystery, cyberpunk. I love the way you have created a deeply simple system to learn, with complex gameplay. I would love to be able to create Super Heroes, or be a captain of a starship.and the ship get aliens on board. The thing you could bring are endless.

If this question has been answered I apologize in advanced.
Barmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:45 AM   #2
Chris Rice

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip Legacy Edition expansions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmace View Post
Hey Steve,
What I would like to know, do you plan on bringing other types of scenarios to the system? Like horror, mystery, cyberpunk. I love the way you have created a deeply simple system to learn, with complex gameplay. I would love to be able to create Super Heroes, or be a captain of a starship.and the ship get aliens on board. The thing you could bring are endless.

I think they've said they've no intention of turning TFT into GURPS. I take that to mean they won't be adding more rules or genre-specific books to Legacy. However, there are already rules for Supers in the Companion and I can see further stuff being published in Hexagram in that fashion.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:41 PM   #3
Skarg

My experience was, that playing TFT for a few years, developed my familiarity and ability to run it to the point that I was well-equipped to easily shift to GURPS (at least, first-edition GURPS). It also trained me in a mode of play that can also be used in GURPS (i.e. only using the parts I want to, able to quickly make NPCs with appropriate values at the speed I can right them down, etc).

Not everyone wants that much detail, though. But once you learn it, TFT is easy to house rule, and you could also go in reverse, taking a GURPS setting book and adapting what it says back to TFT. I think though there are some technical and balance / simulation issues with trying to do deadly missile weapons like guns and lasers, and/or supers stuff. But for some players, trying out such experiments can also be fun in itself. I've tried gunslingers, modern, covert action, military, sci fi, and even some weird stuff like Tron, in TFT, just by inventing house rules.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:46 AM   #4
larsdangly

I often use 3E GURPS setting books as resources for TFT campaigns. The stat blocks are not directly usable as-is, but once you have experience with both systems you can 'read' an equivalent TFT stat block into them in more or less real time.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:33 AM   #5
Anaraxes

Horror and mystery are genres that are pretty independent of the setting, and don't clash with either the "fantasy" in Fantasy Trip or the mostly-pseudo-medieval tech level. You could grab the GURPS Horror and/or Mysteries books just for the sake of their advice on how to structure such stories, background, and so on. But there's no real need for new mechanics to run horror or mystery stories.

Cyberpunk, on the other hand, has some pretty radical technological differences. You'd need a lot of rules for modern and 80s-retro-future-tech. Netrunning, cyberwear implants, firearms and other weapons (shock sticks, razor claws, monowire) -- and supporting changes to Talents for the tech and genre. I don't think SJG has any plans to publish The Cyberpunk Trip. They might (might) consider a proposal if someone wanted to write it. Maybe the place to start would be a Hexagram article addressing a piece of it.

If you want to run modern horror (zombie apocalypse, perhaps), there's similar work to introduce modern tech. Lovecraftian horror needs some sort of sanity or corruption mechanic (see GURPS Horror :)).
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:15 PM   #6
larsdangly

The 'Supers' piece that made it into the TFT Companion also has talent lists and a few basic modern tech items, and its treatment of superpowers could be expanded and adapted to other things, like supernatural and/or super-tech powers.

But, as for a non-fantasy official source book, published by SJG, I wouldn't hold my breath. They seem a lot more focused on building out the support for the core game (maps, cards, markers, etc.)
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:24 AM   #7
DarkPumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
there are already rules for Supers in the Companion and I can see further stuff being published in Hexagram in that fashion.
It's possible, but the supers article was really a legacy reprint from back in the day and I doubt that further genre adaptations are a priority, even in Hexagram.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:02 PM   #8
ParadoxGames

I'd rather see TFT remain faithful to its fantasy roots. However, In the Labyrinth alone gives you enough information to devise characters and settings in sci-fi realms. Then it's only a matter of becoming familiar with the system enough to be able to house-rule ideas like hi-tech weapons, spaceship travel and ship-to-ship combat, etc.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:57 PM   #9
JLV

One thing I would like to see though, might be some kind of conversion of their old Conan properties to TFT terms -- that would fit in pretty well with the "fantasy" trope.

Of course, there are probably licensing issues all over the place with that one.

Another option would be to talk to the people publishing things like Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea, Barbarians of Lemuria, Xoth, Legends of Steel, or Primeval Thule and see about a TFT conversion for those. At least Legends of Steel and Primeval Thule already have a track record of converting their properties to other game systems (everything from Pathfinder to 13th Age to ZeFRS in addition to the usual 5E stuff), so they might be amenable to it...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:57 PM   #10
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmace View Post
Hey Steve,

Even if SJG doesn't develop some of these things, the FANS sure have.

Here is my TFT Fansite: GamesterCrafter
https://www.gamestercrafter.com/the-fantasy-trip/

I have links to other Fansites:

https://www.gamestercrafter.com/the-...tft-links.html

Search through these links. There are things on Horror, Mystery, Space, Superheroes, etc. I'm sure you will find something you can use.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote