Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Nuclear bombardment and fragile scanners

Why isn't the Ogre player required to wear a blindfold for the rest of the game after being subject to the first attack with nuclear weapons?

My handwave is that the sensors are woven into BPC. Blasting away a layer of armor only exposes more sensors in this Ogre-sized sensor array. Also I figure that Ogres might as well be blasting away with active EM pulses all the time. Ninjas using deceptive EM pulses designed to look like false reflections of course.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
Mack_JB

Default Re: Nuclear bombardment and fragile scanners

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Why isn't the Ogre player required to wear a blindfold for the rest of the game after being subject to the first attack with nuclear weapons?
I've always stated that just as armor and such is improved by technology, the results of any EMP are lessened by improvements in hardening circuitry and software against such damage. It's just one of those things one has to accept to play the game.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:55 AM   #3
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
I've always stated that just as armor and such is improved by technology, the results of any EMP are lessened by improvements in hardening circuitry and software against such damage. It's just one of those things one has to accept to play the game.
I always imagined something simpler.

First, nuclear blasts are relatively localized vs something the size of an Ogre hex. Anything far enough from the blast under a little cover will be fine. Second, there's this whole other battle of small sensor drones that is largely inconclusive. There are enough small drones, bots, sensor shells, and dropped sensors that you can never get them all, and they are so light and cheap relative to a micronuke that no one ever runs out.

Everyone has enough sensors to get a vague idea about where everyone else is, but none of these little sensors survive line-of-sight with enemy units. You know to within 100 meters where your enemies are at all times, but only to within 3 meters in an overrun.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #4
Jen

Quote:

My handwave is that the sensors are woven into BPC. Blasting away a layer of armor only exposes more sensors in this Ogre-sized sensor array. Also I figure that Ogres might as well be blasting away with active EM pulses all the time. Ninjas using deceptive EM pulses designed to look like false reflections of course.
To me, having the sensors in the armor makes sense. BPC may be stronger than...well...anything NOT BPC, but different kinds of force affect things differently. Depending on the redundancy built in, it can also allow the Ogre to continue fighting when a layer is slagged.

Shear forces from an explosion are something to contend with and while armor may be structured to withstand a pounding, is it structured to withstand torsion or flex? Heck, is that even an issue with the itty bitty tacnukes?

If this has been discussed, feel free to point me at it!!!

Jen
Old 12-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #5
mxslade

Location: Allentown,Pa. The hiding place during the revolutionary war & current home of the Real Liberty Bell

Maybe an optional rule could be added to see if the CRM 114 is destroyed and the Ogre is blind after the first time it is fired upon could be added:

Cruise missile 1-3 NE/4-6 X

Armor 1-4 NE/5 or 6 X

Infantry 1-5/NE 6 X

On a X result the Ogre is blind and can still head toward the CP (or it's objective) but can't fire on anything until it enters the same hex as the unit.

Last edited by mxslade; 12-01-2014 at 02:26 PM. Reason: spelin rrs
mxslade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:02 PM   #6
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Shear forces from an explosion are something to contend with and while armor may be structured to withstand a pounding, is it structured to withstand torsion or flex? Heck, is that even an issue with the itty bitty tacnukes?

If this has been discussed, feel free to point me at it!!!

Jen
c.f. GURPS OGRE for bendy BPC.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #7
Jen

Quote:
c.f. GURPS OGRE for bendy BPC.
I'll crack that open then. I tend to forget the GURPS Orgre book, to my shame...

Jen
Old 12-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I'll crack that open then. I tend to forget the GURPS Orgre book, to my shame...
The background material is great. The numbers are a bit of a miss vs the board game. It's good for inspiration but not so good for rules.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:42 PM   #9
GEVJockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxslade View Post
Maybe an optional rule could be added to see if the CRM 114 is destroyed and the Ogre is blind after the first time it is fired upon could be added:
Major Kong, the auto-destruct circuit got hit and blew itself up.
GEVJockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #10
hcobb

Ogre Tower: D equals Ogre Mark #

Once this is shot off the Ogre no longer can ignore the LOS penalty for shooting over ridge lines.