Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 06-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
Mysteris

Default Starting Geasa

Hey all. Quick question.

For fun yesterday I whipped up a Free Lilim as a starting PC. I was wondering if their nine Geas/3s counted as Discord and gave the matching number of points that any other DIscord would give. I figured it was about 27 points given total. Is that right?
Mysteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
alexondria

Default Re: Starting Geasa

I'm not sure what the technical answer is, but I've never counted geasa as the kind of discord that could lead to falling/redeeming. It's visible, your friends may not like it, but it in of itself isn't a crack in what you are (unless you are a malakite with an oath about such things).
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Yeah, my understand is that a Lilim's Geases don't give any more points than a Malakim's Oaths would or a Mercurian's inability to use violence -- they're an integral part of the character rather than an individual disadvantage, albeit one that can be slowly (but almost never completely) worked off.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
Mysteris

Okay. Thanks. I wasn't sure.
Mysteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:42 AM   #5
Azel

Free Lilim geases are the price for each force to create their existence. They don't get bonus Character Points for having such geases. It's their starting debt to just be alive.

True, a Geas is technically still an Ethereal Discord. However just like Calabim and their mandatory discord that never goes away and never gives them CP, Free Lilim similarly receive no CP for their creation geases.
Azel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azel View Post
Free Lilim geases are the price for each force to create their existence. They don't get bonus Character Points for having such geases. It's their starting debt to just be alive.

True, a Geas is technically still an Ethereal Discord. However just like Calabim and their mandatory discord that never goes away and never gives them CP, Free Lilim similarly receive no CP for their creation geases.
I imagine Calabim are the source of confusion here. One FAQ said they don't get points for their discord; another (later) one said they do. See: http://www.sjgames.com/in-nomine/faq...ns-calabim-004

EDIT: Note that that same FAQ says that a Free Lilim's geases are NOT worth character points, and that it's up to the GM whether any other Lilim's geases are worth anything.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I imagine Calabim are the source of confusion here. One FAQ said they don't get points for their discord; another (later) one said they do. See: http://www.sjgames.com/in-nomine/faq...ns-calabim-004

EDIT: Note that that same FAQ says that a Free Lilim's geases are NOT worth character points, and that it's up to the GM whether any other Lilim's geases are worth anything.
That's the FAQ that Archangel Beth is using, so I'm willing to treat it as definitive...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
Omegonthesane

Owing geasa to local NPCs (for whatever reason) or people currently involved in the plot is an actual disadvantage that you might want to get points for. Owing geasa to Lilith, however (or generically, to any character not directly intervening) is largely character background. Character hooks, even, as you can justify being in a party if Lilith tugs or sells one of your geese.
Omegonthesane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegonthesane View Post
Owing geasa to local NPCs (for whatever reason) or people currently involved in the plot is an actual disadvantage that you might want to get points for. Owing geasa to Lilith, however (or generically, to any character not directly intervening) is largely character background. Character hooks, even, as you can justify being in a party if Lilith tugs or sells one of your geese.
Heck, one of the Brights in my campaign still owes a favor to Lilith, and I'm looking forward to calling that in one of these days ...

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discord, geas