Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #101
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 12: Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhd View Post
Heavens, why?
The Master was definitely inspirational to Peter, I think.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #102
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The Master was definitely inspirational to Peter, I think.
It came out on TV at just the right age for me, and it was absolutely part of (and a reflection of) the 1980s ninja craze. There are in-joke references to the show in DF12, like the Shokosu Gi. If I could have worked the name "John Peter McAllister" into the text somehow I would have.

Besides Kromm already used the best Octagon quote in Action 3 . . .
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #103
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog View Post
Besides Kromm already used the best Octagon quote in Action 3 . . .
When I first read G:DF:Ninjas, I was hoping for an El Disgusto-related pull quote from the Binder of Shame.

My GURPS blog.

Last edited by Rasputin; 03-06-2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Specified "it."
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #104
mhd

Especially because I was going through my wannabe-ninja phase in the 80s I couldn't understand why someone would like that show, except in a pomo-ironic way (and/or as Mst3k fodder). But thinking about it, I would be hard-pressed to come up with appropriate counter-examples I had actually watched back then. (Ninja in the Dragon's Den, maybe…)

Just goes to show how clouded one's view of the past can be…
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #105
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Actually that is open to interpretation.
Garlic repels mosquitoes and I think that is also a possible reason for that idea.
Not trying to be difficult but showing there are more then one possibility for many Myths and such.
I thought it only masked CO2 because I don't think mosquitoes can smell very well. Mosquitoes are attracted to CO2 and chemicals like DEET merely mask it.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #106
b-dog

Quote:
And I appreciate that! I just think the book already covers some of what you want, and that we'd be better off stocking future DFM books with oni and tanuki and tengu and kyojin and kobito instead of trying anything serious in terms of a worldbook. GURPS Japan and GURPS China already do that well enough if you need setting details.
Those monsters would be good to have specially powered up to fit DF. As far as GURPS China and Japan go they are interesting but a higher powered mythical source book would fit better with DF and be more useful.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:55 AM   #107
vierasmarius

Quote:
And I appreciate that! I just think the book already covers some of what you want, and that we'd be better off stocking future DFM books with oni and tanuki and tengu and kyojin and kobito instead of trying anything serious in terms of a worldbook. GURPS Japan and GURPS China already do that well enough if you need setting details.
Yes please! Japanese mythology is richly populated with bizarre and ghastly beasts to fill the dungeon with. Having a DFM: Oriental Monsters book would give you "exotic" opponents for the typical DF game, as well as provide standard fare (and even monstrous PC templates) if running a game set in mythical Japan. As much as b-dog insists, I think it's important that DF keeps itself light on setting declarations. It can always be flavored by a sprinkling from setting books (Banestorm, Roma Arcana, Celtic Myth, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
Those monsters would be good to have specially powered up to fit DF. As far as GURPS China and Japan go they are interesting but a higher powered mythical source book would fit better with DF and be more useful.
Apart from the DF-scaled monsters, what would you want in a DF: Oriental Adventures sourcebook that isn't provided by the above books? I could see magic items and spellcasting options based on oriental mysticism. Maybe lenses for some of the templates (ie, turn the Knight or Swashbuckler into a Samurai). That sounds like stuff that could fit in the hypothetical "DFM: Oriental Beasts" book, or maybe as a separate Pyramid article. Anything else you think is needed?

Last edited by vierasmarius; 03-07-2012 at 03:02 AM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #108
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
Since GURPS DF does not want to make any worlds for DF based on real world myths it is good that there is Pathfinder. Now there is a place to play GURPS DF Ninjas!

Here is an adventure path for an oriental DF world:

http://paizo.com/pathfinder/adventurePath/jadeRegent
Note that this AP is more like Shogun that Seven Samurai. You start out in the Western Fantasy part of the world and transition to the Eastern Fantasy part of the world. Only the last three of the six books are actually set in the Eastern part, though elements of Eastern Fantasy definitely show up before that.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, kromm explanation