Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
buzz

Default Playing the Adversary; how's it worked for you?

p.B493 talks about "Playing the Adversary", i.e., having a player take on the role of what would otherwise be an NPC acting as an antagonist. I'm running a G4e event at Chicago Gameday next week and was thinking of having one or more of the players take on this role. I'm thinking this might be a fun change of pace for a con event, as well as taking a bit of the load off of me as GM.

Anyone have any experience with this? I'm curious to hear any positive or negative experiences anyone has had with this technique.

FWIW, I've played played games with enjoyable PvP before (e.g., Burning Wheel), but wasn't sure how GURPS fared in this regard.
buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Playing the Adversary; how's it worked for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
p.B493 talks about "Playing the Adversary", i.e., having a player take on the role of what would otherwise be an NPC acting as an antagonist. I'm running a G4e event at Chicago Gameday next week and was thinking of having one or more of the players take on this role. I'm thinking this might be a fun change of pace for a con event, as well as taking a bit of the load off of me as GM.

Anyone have any experience with this? I'm curious to hear any positive or negative experiences anyone has had with this technique.

FWIW, I've played played games with enjoyable PvP before (e.g., Burning Wheel), but wasn't sure how GURPS fared in this regard.
Depending on the number of my players at the time I usually don't need a active adversary, I run games just fine for 4-5 players. That said, games with players over 6 usually require a Adversary (for me at least).

Just a note, don't consider it PvP that way lies madness, the Adversary is a useful tool that allows you as the GM to expand the depth of your games, after all arguing with another person is far more fun that arguing with yourself. At least I've always viewed it that way. The Adversary is the co-GM, the Robin to your Batman, Tonto to your Lone Ranger. They need to know just as much about running a game as you do.

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Depending on the number of my players at the time I usually don't need a active adversary, I run games just fine for 4-5 players. That said, games with players over 6 usually require a Adversary (for me at least).
This event has six players; I was going to have one of them play Adversary (maybe two, based on this discussion). None of these people are active GURPS players, though a few played it back in the day.

ENWorld Chicago Gameday
Getting people together to game since 2001.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
This event has six players; I was going to have one of them play Adversary (maybe two, based on this discussion). None of these people are active GURPS players, though a few played it back in the day.
You *can* use standby's as Adversary(s), I've even used someone who knew nothing about GURPS for this, it's okay for short-term campaigns but for long-term ones you really want someone who is familiar with the rules. Get them a cheat sheet of some kind if you can, or try to get them to at least glance over the Basic Set.

Become a Patron!
Old 07-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
Rasputin

Quote:
You *can* use standby's as Adversary(s)
You can even use active players if you've split the party. Especially for fodder NPCs.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
buzz

I'm running "Orbital Decay", and was planning to have the Adversary play Madison Haley, the corporate stooge sent to supervise the freelance team.

Aside: I know a lot of people are not fond of this product, but I actually think it's a good scenario, especially for a one-shot. Ergo, please let's not get derailed talking abut the merits of this product. Thanks in advance.

ENWorld Chicago Gameday
Old 07-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
You can even use active players if you've split the party. Especially for fodder NPCs.
Yeah, that's good too, I've done that before as well.

Quote:
I'm running "Orbital Decay", and was planning to have the Adversary play Madison Haley, the corporate stooge sent to supervise the freelance team.

Aside: I know a lot of people are not fond of this product, but I actually think it's a good scenario, especially for a one-shot. Ergo, please let's not get derailed talking abut the merits of this product. Thanks in advance.
I *like* Orbital Decay, and really its perfect for con's or one-shots.

Ghostdancer

Become a Patron!
Old 07-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
buzz

Quote:
I *like* Orbital Decay, and really its perfect for con's or one-shots.
You are gentleman, sir.

So, how do you handle social skills an Adversary uses against a PC, or vice-versa? E.g., Haley has high level soy skill alike Fast Talk, Intimidation, etc. Are we just relying on p. B359, "Influencing the PCs"?

ENWorld Chicago Gameday
Old 07-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
You are gentleman, sir.

So, how do you handle social skills an Adversary uses against a PC, or vice-versa? E.g., Haley has high level soy skill alike Fast Talk, Intimidation, etc. Are we just relying on p. B359, "Influencing the PCs"?
Best to treat NPC's as NPC's and leave it at that. I would look at Social Engineering if you can and use some of the rules from there, especially the the Expanded Influence rolls (p. 31), influencing PCs (p.32), and Expanded Reaction Tables (p. 74) if you use nothing else from that book those rules alone will enhance your game 10x fold. And if you don't have the book its worth every penny so I suggest you pick it up.

Remember Haley is a *slime bag* don't be afraid to have your Adversary play him that way. Suggest that he watch Aliens and pay careful attention to how Burke acts, talks, etc. I've always envisioned him as such.

Ghostdancer

Become a Patron!
Old 07-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
buzz

Quote:
Best to treat NPC's as NPC's and leave it at that. I would look at Social Engineering if you can and use some of the rules from there, especially the the Expanded Influence rolls (p. 31), influencing PCs (p.32), and Expanded Reaction Tables (p. 74) if you use nothing else from that book those rules alone will enhance your game 10x fold. And if you don't have the book its worth every penny so I suggest you pick it up.

Remember Haley is a *slime bag* don't be afraid to have your Adversary play him that way. Suggest that he watch Aliens and pay careful attention to how Burke acts, talks, etc. I've always envisioned him as such.
Cool; I actually do own Social Engineering, so I'll definitely look at that.

And I can totally see Haley saying some of Burke's lines, e.g., "This installation has a significant dollar value!"

Thanks for the tips, Ghostdancer.

ENWorld Chicago Gameday

Tags
basic set