Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 05-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
Acolyte

Default IN: Pulp

IN's setting and major NPCs would be a great fit, I think, for a pulp-themed RPG. It's a bit silly, but also incredibly awesome, to envision a situation like the following:

Quote:
Jordian ape-men teaming up with heroic Destiny-themed arcaeologists and The-Sword-themed Jesuits to defend Ethereal relics from exploitation by Mammon's colonial overlords, Kronos' sorcerer Nazis, and Haagenti's savage cannibal tribes.
Has anyone done anything along those lines? I'd love to hear about it, or hear other similar pulp-esque IN ideas.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
ladyarcana55

Default Re: IN: Pulp

Haagenti's cannibals would probably be in the jungle, so you know Novalis' people are probably involved too.
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Obviously, the Janusites (Janussaries?) are made for a pulp campaign. Trotting the globe looking to swipe -- er, uncover -- ancient artifacts? Where do we start?

Jean, of course, embodies another kind of cliffhanger-era hero: the omnicompetent scientist and gadgeteer, who can cobble together what he needs from the contents of the storage shed he's been locked in. (Obviously, McGyver is a modern descendent.)

Angels of Michael will love this as well. To rip off the Movie Voice: "In a world whose darkest secrets are about to be uncovered, one man stands between civilization and apocalypse...." The two-fisted hero standing off danger with nothing but his fists and his wits is at the heart of everything the old Seraph stands for.

For something less obvious, this is also the gangster era. Angels of Litheroy could have a marvelous time busting up big-city crime rings. And since they can't take on a Role, it might explain that classic trope of the anonymous vigilante who the police simultaneously hunt and disbelieve in ...

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post

Angels of Michael will love this as well. To rip off the Movie Voice: "In a world whose darkest secrets are about to be uncovered, one man stands between civilization and apocalypse...." The two-fisted hero standing off danger with nothing but his fists and his wits is at the heart of everything the old Seraph stands for.

For something less obvious, this is also the gangster era. Angels of Litheroy could have a marvelous time busting up big-city crime rings. And since they can't take on a Role, it might explain that classic trope of the anonymous vigilante who the police simultaneously hunt and disbelieve in ...
That's actually where my mind went first from the thread title. From Chandler's description or Philip Marlowe "...down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean, who is neither tarnished nor afraid. He is the hero; he is everything. He must be a complete man and a common man and yet an unusual man. He must be, to use a rather weathered phrase, a man of honor—by instinct, by inevitability, without thought of it, and certainly without saying it. He must be the best man in his world and a good enough man for any world." I hear Seraph of the Sword or Protection there, although the Sam Spade type is more Michael's bailiwick.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
ladyarcana55

How about a Swordie in the gangster era theme?

You know, the honorable cop who can't be bought? Or would that be Stone?

Where would Eli be in this one? I am thinking of the folks who seem to pull the craziest ideas out of the air. You know, the ones with the ides so crazy it just may work?
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:49 AM   #6
JCD

Why is everyone forgetting the woman of negotiable virtues and vices? The Femme Fatale?

Hmm. The Damsel in Distress sounds a lot like a Seraph who got in over her head.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:35 AM   #7
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Why is everyone forgetting the woman of negotiable virtues and vices? The Femme Fatale?
A Lilim if ever I saw one ....

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
setting