Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 10-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
tremorlaine

Default Garage Door Opener (Star Munchkin)

What is the timing limitation on using the GDO? For instance, Player D has GDO. Player A kicks down the door. By the time Player A finishes reading the card aloud Player B plays a Room card (Cantina is the room card played). Has the statue of limitations on GDO already passed? If not, must they use it before Players B, C, & D player their Monsters? Can they use it after it is determined if the other players aren't going to play monsters?

Also, if the GDO was used on a monster that says Lose 2 levels even if you successfully run away do you automatically lose those levels without the ability to do anything?

Last edited by tremorlaine; 10-20-2012 at 11:47 PM.
tremorlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:11 AM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Garage Door Opener (Star Munchkin)

So the question is that player D wants to use the GDO to discard A's card and player B wants to play a Room instead. I understand that GDO requires discards, so the order of play will be determined by which action happens first: either B's Room hitting the table or the discards for GDO hitting the table. B should really wait until A has read the card for fairness, though, given that the two players are essentially racing. Player D cannot wait around to see what his opponents are doing, such as playing Wandering Monsters before making up his mind to use the GDO to discard anything except the most recent monster.

Last edited by Clipper; 10-21-2012 at 04:14 AM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:23 AM   #3
tremorlaine

I personally don't like slapjack instance where speed of playing cards determines an outcome. Essentially both players were reaching in there hands to stop Player B from winning combat. As it played out the Room hit the table first. Does that mean that Player D can no longer use the GDO?
Old 10-21-2012, 04:27 AM   #4
tremorlaine

We had another instance in a normal game of Munchkin where a player went Looking For Trouble and played a monster along with two other monsters wandered in from his whole hand. As he was explaining the cards he was putting down I jumped in and forced a runaway with Potion of Cowardice knowing full well his next card played was going to be Friendly allowing him to get all the treasures.

In future games should we advise people to put all the cards they are intending to play down at the same time and then explain to avoid having their pre-thought out planned jacked like I did?
Old 10-21-2012, 04:55 AM   #5
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremorlaine View Post
I personally don't like slapjack instance where speed of playing cards determines an outcome. Essentially both players were reaching in there hands to stop Player B from winning combat. As it played out the Room hit the table first. Does that mean that Player D can no longer use the GDO?
It's unfortunate, but it does seem necessary, for cases like the one you provide in your follow-up post. Player D would not be able to use the GDO to remove the kicked open Door, but I think he could use it to remove the Room (if I understand GDO's effect properly), which he probably wouldn't want to do anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremorlaine View Post
We had another instance in a normal game of Munchkin where a player went Looking For Trouble and played a monster along with two other monsters wandered in from his whole hand. As he was explaining the cards he was putting down I jumped in and forced a runaway with Potion of Cowardice knowing full well his next card played was going to be Friendly allowing him to get all the treasures.

In future games should we advise people to put all the cards they are intending to play down at the same time and then explain to avoid having their pre-thought out planned jacked like I did?
You made a good play there and it is reasons like that why I do like the race effect. The fairest thing is to allow each other player to react briefly to the cards you play, but it is up to your group to decide your favourite method to implement this. It would seem a bit unfair to play a bunch of cards at once without giving people a chance to halt you just because you can, but certainly play it that way if you prefer it like that.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
tremorlaine

We played with the fast play rules last night and more questions regarding GDO came up.

Can you only use GDO to close a Kick Down The Door monster? Or can it be used while someone is Looking For Trouble?